Setting up an external display

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 inch MBP 2.5 ghz i7 16 GB Antiglare screen
I've recently migrated from a PC desktop to a MBP laptop with an NEC external monitor for critical photo work in Photoshop CS5. I'm struggling a bit with the mutliple displays.

If I mirror the external monitor the resolution of the NEC is the same as the laptop, not the higher resolution that the monitor is capable of.

If I extend the external monitor the resolution of the NEC is fine, but then I'm always having go back and forth between the two monitors to drag images and make tool setting changes--- a bit of a pain really.

Finally, I've got the NEC correctly color calibrated with Spectraview, but the calibration is also affecting the MCP laptop color, so the laptop screen doesn't look as good as it should (although it may just be difference that my eye sees between the quality of the NEC versus the MBP.)

Can anyone recommend information on how to sort this out? Things were a bit easier when dealing with just a desktop and a single monitor, but I do like the portability of the MBP at times too.

Thanks!

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Moved thread as it didn't belong in Images, Graphic Design and Digital Photography.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 inch MBP 2.5 ghz i7 16 GB Antiglare screen
Moved thread as it didn't belong in Images, Graphic Design and Digital Photography.

it seemed to me that the questions I raised concerning using an external display with consistent Color calibration and resolution across both the MBP and NEC monitors might be best answered in the digital imaging forum as those users are the ones most likely to be using this type of arrangement--- but if these questions can be answered in this particular group so be it.

thanks
Dan

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.