Import Mac Address book

M

Milwauken

I recently purchased a G4 iMac to replace my G3 iMac. Both computers use Safari 10.3.9. How do I import my G3 iMac address book to my G4? I use Mac Mail. I tried transferring the old address book to my G4 desktop, then importing with the file>import function in the new Address Book app, but that didn't work. Then I tried dragging the old address book into the applications folder on my G4 iMac, and replacing the new address book. Now the address book doesn't work at all. I get an "unexpectedly quit" message when I try to open it. Any ideas?
:dummy:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
I think you can select the all directory, and click File>export, you should be able to export all of them, then put it on the new mac and click file>import and import the ones you exported.
I am in tiger, so thats sorta from memory, if you need more help, let us know.

OP
M

Milwauken

I don't see an "all directory" in Panther. I'll be getting Tiger next week.

I can import mailboxes, but not another Mac address book. Plus, my two iMacs are not connected. The best I can do is transfer the old address book with a thumb drive, and then place it on the desktop of my new iMac.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
transferring the app will not do anything but transfer the app. when I say ALL, I mean in address book, there is a list on the left with directories or groups in it, the one with all of your contacts is called all usually. or back up manually by copying the files here:
mac hd>users>your username>library>application support>address book. copy the address book folder, then copy it to the same location on the new mac. it has all the contacts and info in it.

OP
M

Milwauken

Now I understand. Unfortunately, I am not able to open the address book.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Well if you select a contact in the address book, you can export the information as a vcard.

Just select File-> Export vcard.
You should be able to select all contacts (apple+a) and then just select 'Export vcard' again. That'll let you export the contacts onto your memory stick. Then just drag those contacts into the new address book on the other mac and it will import them.

OP
M

Milwauken

Still not working. The address book app crashes when I drag the vCard icon onto it. I'm going to install Tiger and just start over again. Thanks for trying!

Ken
Milwaukee

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.