getting a used macbook pro 17, what is needed to get settle down ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
Getting a used macbook pro 17 mid 2010 one. what needs to be done ?

this macbook does not come with install disc, get a retail SL and get the new os in ?

What is with 34 express card slot ? should I get a express card reader to read SD card, since this macbook does not have a SD slot ? I know usb port should handle Sd card which is faster ?

Anything else missing, appreciate your inputs. Thanks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Getting a used macbook pro 17 mid 2010 one. what needs to be done ?

Your questions & thread title for the most part are very confusing. How about a little more background info...such as...where are you buying this MacBook Pro from?

Thanks,

- Nick

OP
Y
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
from friend.

mid 2010 macbook pro 17" 500gb.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
expresscard will be faster. It's a faster bus. That being said, how much faster in actuall practice? Donno. I'd rather have a built in CF reader :D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
from friend.

mid 2010 macbook pro 17" 500gb.

Ok...thanks for that info.

In your original post you asked..."What needs to be done?"...I'm assuming you mean what do you need to check before buying it.

I would:

- turn it on to see if everything is working.
- unplug it from the wall power adapter & see what sort of condition the battery is in (hours & minutes on a full charge).
- launch the Safari web browser...and do a little internet surfing (to check that the airport works)...assuming you are inspecting the computer somewhere where wireless internet is available.
- look for any cosmetic/physical damage that may be unattractive...or indications that it may have been dropped.
- ask if there's any warranty remaining on it
- listen for any "unusual" computer noises (especially from the hard drive)
- have a DVD that you can insert into the DVD drive...to check the DVD/optical drives function

As far as the OS disk. This computer probably already has OS 10.6 Snow Leopard installed on it...so there may not be a need to purchase the $29 OS 10.6 disk. But you certainly could if you want to. Plus...it looks like OS 10.7 "Lion" may be released soon (maybe next week)...so you could wait & see about that before buying an OS install disk.

I would think that if you're buying this computer from a friend that it would be in very good shape...and if they're your friend they would make you aware of any issues/problems with the computer.

Good luck, hope this helps,:)

- Nick

OP
Y
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
yes, it has apple care till april 2013. forgot to mention that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.