Possible Logic Board failure?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black Core2Duo 2.0ghz, 1gb RAM, 120gb HDD, Tiger
Hi, my lovely iBook G3 600 has died, and I am disconsolate :( It no longer recognises the hard drive - it started crashing intermittently and then not booting up into OSX (I just got the flashing question mark folder thing). I know it's the hard drive as I've tried booting from the Panther CD and it can't find the HD to install to.

Now, does this sound more likely to be a hard drive failure, or a problem with my logic board? As I said, I can boot the Panther installer from CD fine, and I can get into the OF screen in the usual way, but just no hard drive. I wondered if this is a common fault, or if anyone else has experienced it? I don't really want to be going to the massive trouble of taking it to pieces and trying another HD in it - which I'd have to buy, too - if it's still not going to work...

Any advice? BTW, the HD didn't seem to have any problems - repairing permissions and verifying worked fine, and Logic Express was running with no real problems before this...

Thanks in advance :)

R

rgivans

math said:
Hi, my lovely iBook G3 600 has died, and I am disconsolate :( It no longer recognises the hard drive - it started crashing intermittently and then not booting up into OSX (I just got the flashing question mark folder thing). I know it's the hard drive as I've tried booting from the Panther CD and it can't find the HD to install to.

Now, does this sound more likely to be a hard drive failure, or a problem with my logic board? As I said, I can boot the Panther installer from CD fine, and I can get into the OF screen in the usual way, but just no hard drive. I wondered if this is a common fault, or if anyone else has experienced it? I don't really want to be going to the massive trouble of taking it to pieces and trying another HD in it - which I'd have to buy, too - if it's still not going to work...

Any advice? BTW, the HD didn't seem to have any problems - repairing permissions and verifying worked fine, and Logic Express was running with no real problems before this...

Thanks in advance :)

I would say the Logic Board is bad man. My same laptop (iBook G3 600) does the same thing now. I bought 3 different HDs (just to be sure) and they all did the same thing and none of them would work on my laptop. So I would say our Logics are bad. I have seen a few on eBay for $149.99 buy it now. But Im just going to part mine out. Well I hope this helped and sorry to be the one to give you the bad news.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the response mate :) Think I'll have a look round for a replacement logic board - will hopefully work out cheaper than replacing my entire iBook...

Thanks for the advice again, I'll just have to be sans Mac for a while!

R

rgivans

math said:
Thanks for the response mate :) Think I'll have a look round for a replacement logic board - will hopefully work out cheaper than replacing my entire iBook...

Thanks for the advice again, I'll just have to be sans Mac for a while!

Not a problem. Ill look around online for some too for ya. Ill post anything worth wild in this thread for you.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Woah - I don't know how this has happened but my iBook lives again! I'm sure it's a problem linked to powersaving when the battery is about to die; it just seems to not be able to re-wake the HDD. However, it's working ok at the moment, so fingers crossed, it's not completely shafted... :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.