is there a facebook chatbox?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Retina, Late 2013, Memory 8GB, Yosemite.
hi all,apologies to anyone who answered my previous post,i didnt manage to reply,anyway i have taken the plunge and bought a macbook pro,totaly new to mw,always had pc,coould anyone tell me if there is a facebook application that has a chatbox or a seperate chatbox,hopefully free,i was surprized to see there is no chatbox like on a pc,thanks

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanku,i,l take a look

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Oooooh… thanks for posting that! I couldn't figure out why my Facebook contacts were always offline in Adium even though I was (supposedly) connected. Seems you have to access them through Jabber now.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oooooh… thanks for posting that! I couldn't figure out why my Facebook contacts were always offline in Adium even though I was (supposedly) connected. Seems you have to access them through Jabber now.

did u manage to get a chatbox? ihad a bit of job as im new to mac,thanks all

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Did those instructions not work for you? I thought they were pretty step-by-step..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro|15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare|2.2 GHz quad i7|4GB RAM
Set up a Facebook username first. Here's the FAQ regarding usernames on Facebook, from where you should be able to learn to set up a username.

After you have your username created, you can sign up to use Facebook IM through Jabber on any client that supports it. To set this up in iChat follow the easy to understand instructions provided by this video HERE.

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
did u manage to get a chatbox? ihad a bit of job as im new to mac,thanks all

Yes. The directions were foolproof. Unless you are talking about something entirely different from what we are. I've never seen the term "chatbox" before, but I assume you are referring to instant messaging to Facebook contacts.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
done it succsessfully

Yes. The directions were foolproof. Unless you are talking about something entirely different from what we are. I've never seen the term "chatbox" before, but I assume you are referring to instant messaging to Facebook contacts.

thanku all,it was easy in the end,its just that im used to a pc and the "chatbox "appears automatically,u dont have to add it,yes looks like on the mac it is refered to as instant messaging,also it appears the problem was in safari,when i changed to google chrome there it was

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yes looks like on the mac it is refered to as instant messaging,also it appears the problem was in safari,when i changed to google chrome there it was

Actually it's referred to as "instant messaging" in Windows and everywhere else. At least it typically has been using dedicated IM clients like ICQ and Yahoo Messenger.

There shouldn't have been any problem using Safari, but you asked about a Facebook application for chatting. From your post, I'm guessing you never tried Adium as suggested. You might want to give it a whirl. You won't need a browser window open on Facebook to chat. Just run Adium and all your contacts will be in your Adium list and chat from there anytime. Trust me… you'll prefer this.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I use Safari and the Facebook Chat appears just fine. I am not sure why it's not on your machine, But here Snow Leopard 10.6.7 with Safari 5.0.5 and it's there. Has been back since 10.5.8 Leopard and the older Safari.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I use Safari and the Facebook Chat appears just fine. I am not sure why it's not on your machine, But here Snow Leopard 10.6.7 with Safari 5.0.5 and it's there. Has been back since 10.5.8 Leopard and the older Safari.

yes im using adium,i have a macbook pro i5 mc700,dont know which version of safari it is but i like google chrome,thanks for your help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.