• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

OS X Lion To Be Priced Aggressively, Offer iCloud Features for Free?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I'd be happy with both of these things..I'll upgrade to Lion either way, but making it cheaper to me AND throwing in some iCloud services would just sweeten the deal..

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I've been on the fence about being an early adopter of Lion - this would definitely persuade me to hop on board

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Everything I've read about Lion's feature seem intriguing..I upgraded to Snow Leopard the moment it was released and didn't look back..I doubt there is anything in Lion that will prevent me from upgrading..

I've heard of mentions of missing Front Row..but since I've never used it..that's no loss to me..:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3/11 17" MBP 8g/500 Glossy, IPod Touch 4thgen 8gig, 32Gig Verizon 3G + WiFi IPadII
I hate to break it to Apple, but there are still boatloads of us for whom bandwidth has its limits. The punitive pricing for a box set or discs is really bad news for someone who has a limit of 5gigs per month and uses most of that already.

Also, I just bought my first Mac and love it. Snow Leopard is awesome. Not everything new is good, what exactly am I getting for upgrading besides the cloud stuff?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Also, I just bought my first Mac and love it. Snow Leopard is awesome. Not everything new is good, what exactly am I getting for upgrading besides the cloud stuff?

If you don't like what Lion is offering, don't purchase it. You're not forced to do so.

Reaction score
Going to guess it'll be something like $79.99 in stores and $49.99 tops in the App Store.

Would be nice if they'd ship a free backup USB when you download from the App Store. Either way, I will PROBABLY be buying it the first chance that I get; still, though, I love Snow Leopard (my Macbook was my first Apple product, followed by my iPhone 4 and iPad 2) so it's a win-win.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I hate to break it to Apple, but there are still boatloads of us for whom bandwidth has its limits. The punitive pricing for a box set or discs is really bad news for someone who has a limit of 5gigs per month and uses most of that already.

Maybe we should just wait & see. Maybe the pricing difference (if there is one) may not be significant.

It would be interesting to know what percentage of users (in the US) that have high-speed internet (DSL or cable modem)...and folks on other plans with a limit. I'm guessing Apple has this data...and the percentage of users with high-speed (no limits) is probably very high (maybe the majority)...so Apple isn't exactly shooting itself in the foot by offering a downloadable software update. Or look at it this way...Apple is simply offering more options for users to get their OS upgrades:

- online Apple Store boxed version
- online Apple Store downloadable version
- "brick & mortar" Apple Stores
- other online stores

Also remember that Microsoft has been offering OS downloads for a while now...and so those folks with monthly limits in the "Windows World"...have had to choose between the convenience of a downloadable OS update/upgrade...and a "boxed" version.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There's also the assumption that Apple won't have different pricing in locations where data is capped.

In the US, which I'm sure is getting Lion first, there are rarely caps, and even in the small percentage where there is, it's rarely enforced. So it's not as much of a deal. I'm pretty sure Apple's smart enough to understand different markets have different dynamics.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo - eMac 1.42 GHz (RIP) - iMac G3 400 MHz - iPad 2 16GB
I probably won't buy the download version of Lion unless you can create a disk image and do a clean install. I'm not comfortable installing over top of Snow Leopard. Unless I'm missing something here..?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I probably won't buy the download version of Lion unless you can create a disk image and do a clean install. I'm not comfortable installing over top of Snow Leopard. Unless I'm missing something here..?

I guess I'm "old school"...I like having a OS install disk for those times when:

- my internet may be down
- my router may be busted
- for some reason the airport hardware in a computer is not working
- or if your hard drive dies & you cannot get on the internet since the new hard drive has no OS on it (unless you have a properly setup backup).

These occurrences are rare, and I'm sure eventually all OS upgrades & updates will be internet download only...so eventually I'll have to be "diskless".;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo - eMac 1.42 GHz (RIP) - iMac G3 400 MHz - iPad 2 16GB
I guess I'm "old school"...I like having a OS install disk for those times when:

- my internet may be down
- my router may be busted
- for some reason the airport hardware in a computer is not working
- or if your hard drive dies & you cannot get on the internet since the new hard drive has no OS on it (unless you have a properly setup backup).

These occurrences are rare, and I'm sure eventually all OS upgrades & updates will be internet download only...so eventually I'll have to be "diskless".;)

- Nick

On top of all those reasons :), I also have a collector tendency and right now I have the retail discs for Tiger, Leopard, and Snow Leopard in my drawer (and I've had the need to actually use every single one of them in the last year). It's only fitting that Lion should be sitting in there too. ;P

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
On top of all those reasons :), I also have a collector tendency and right now I have the retail discs for Tiger, Leopard, and Snow Leopard in my drawer (and I've had the need to actually use every single one of them in the last year). It's only fitting that Lion should be sitting in there too. ;P

Yes...I was thinking that as well.:) I'm missing a couple OS X versions. I think that I'm missing 10.0 & 10.2 (have all the rest).

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MacBook Pro, 2.3 GHz i7, 8GB Ram, 750GB HD, Hi-Res AG screen
Sorry for the OT, but why does anyone still have limited internet. Are there parts of the united states where internet cost more than $59 for the faster speed with unlimited usage. For me, with the amount of time I spend on the internet, I would pay almost $200 dollars a month. I guess I just dont understand the mind set of limiting yourself to such a valuable resource.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3/11 17" MBP 8g/500 Glossy, IPod Touch 4thgen 8gig, 32Gig Verizon 3G + WiFi IPadII
Sorry for the OT, but why does anyone still have limited internet. Are there parts of the united states where internet cost more than $59 for the faster speed with unlimited usage. For me, with the amount of time I spend on the internet, I would pay almost $200 dollars a month. I guess I just dont understand the mind set of limiting yourself to such a valuable resource.

200 a month is ridiculous. 59 a month for unlimited should be fine, but Verizon has a 5g limit and that's what i get for the 65 or so i pay for it. They make the rules, not me and its about the only option. It's cell DSL but the DL speeds are about ISDN fast, which is...better than dialup, my only other option...except for hughesnet which is obscene. That's life in the country.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13inch 2.3 i5 MBP 64gb SSD 320gb HD 8gb 1333

Their are lots of other countries where data caps are the reg. Much rarer in the US but still around (though most companies have "caps" are like 250gb and deemed "excessive use").

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
There's also the assumption that Apple won't have different pricing in locations where data is capped.

In the US, which I'm sure is getting Lion first, there are rarely caps, and even in the small percentage where there is, it's rarely enforced. So it's not as much of a deal. I'm pretty sure Apple's smart enough to understand different markets have different dynamics.

Here AT&T warns you 3x then starts to bill you extra if you go over the Cap, Comcast Cable screams once then zaps your account. Know many who have had that happen. Cox has that same wording and so does Charter Cable. That takes care of any decent internet in this area at least. :D

I can't get uVerse in my area of town, but they have a 250GB cap which a few I know have gone over and same rules as AT&T DSL here. Since AT&T did it I am told many others are considering it. Really is not fair with more and more content on the internet and more and more people needing more not less usage.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

Um, not everyone has $200 a month to spend. I sure don't. That is way too much for a LOT of people in the USA. Sorry. I would rather eat and pay my rent and bills than be in the street with Internet! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here AT&T warns you 3x then starts to bill you extra if you go over the Cap, Comcast Cable screams once then zaps your account. Know many who have had that happen. Cox has that same wording and so does Charter Cable. That takes care of any decent internet in this area at least. :D

Well I can tell you Cox doesn't enforce the caps unless you do it consistently and create a problem at the node. I'm also surprised about Comcast because they seem to be the same as Cox in their approach at least from reading dslreports. But I guess it could also depend on area.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
I am gonna leave Lion for about 6 months for them to iron out any bugs.

Also, I bet Avid will take ages to make Pro Tools fully stable with it; so I will have to wait anyway.

And I quite like coloured Finder sidebars, not looking forward to losing it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.