Connecting to Airport Express

Reaction score
Hi

I'm running Leopard 10.5.8 on a iBook 1.33 GHz 1GB having just upgraded from Tiger so i can update my iPhone.

A couple of years back my wireless card broke and considering it is part of the mother board and the age of the machine i bought a wireless adapter and have happily been using Airtunes connected through my Airport Express and using the internet as normal.

Since installing Leopard i cannot set this up. I installed Airport Assistant etc from the original install disc but when i go to set it up i get the message 'No Airport Card Installed'

I also want to use Airfoil to play content from the internet through Airport Express.

All this worked before i upgraded to Leopard. Any ideas gang?

Kind regards
Raff

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Could you tell us what wireless adapter you bought?

Cheers

- Simon

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Many of those types of dongles result in the message No Airport Connected as you have discovered. You might check to see if the device you are using has separate drivers that could be installed.

I have two of these gizmos and the both have a utility that can be used to turn them off/on as well as do things like enter the network name and password. One of the drivers I must manually reconnect every time I boot/reboot the machine. The other one behaves more like an airport card and doesn't need to be manually started. I think I got it from monoprice.com.

OP
R
Reaction score
Hi

I've installed the driver and Airfoil now and i'm getting intermittent connection. Annoying but will keep trying.

Thanks for your help

Regards
Raff

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Try deleting the com.apple.airport.preferences.plist file, restart and try again.
It's located in HD>Library>Preferences>SystemConfiguration.

Hope this helps

- Simon

OP
R
Reaction score
I've now got to the stage where i can play content with iTunes & through Safari with Airfoil but....... it cuts out from the Airport Express after about 10 seconds. The content is continuing to play in iTunes/Airfoil but just no sound through external speaker. All my cables etc are connected securely and i have a internet connection through the wireless adapter (strong 99/100%).

I have tried Airport assistant again but it still says 'no wireless card' which is confusing me as i do get the short connection but then it cuts out from AP Express.

Very frustrating???

It must be something in the settings

OP
R
Reaction score
i don't understand how it actually says 'connecting to airport express' in itunes and airfoil and plays intermittently but in Airport Set Up Assistant it won't find it????

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.