I am thinking to switch to iMac, need suggestion please?

Reaction score
I currently use PC and I am getting sick of the virus that sweeps into my computer and I have heard that iMac are excellent since they barely had this problem

I also came across to Apple shop and I actually like the monitor since the screen is very stunny but at the same time, I found it a bit difficult to play with the interface since I am used to using the PC i.e Microsoft XP. But I guess that I will get used to it, no? Anyone had this trouble before?

So there's a few questions I'd like to ask in regards to the product to have a better understanding of the product and knowing which model that is suitable for me.

1) I am interested in 21.5 inch size. I mainly use it for using internet, listening to music, using words\excel and no gaming. I will be rooting for 1TB since I got massive movies and music. But I am not sure which exact model I should use i.e. i3, i5, i7 and the Ghz etc would be sufficient for me?

2) I heard for some programs or softwares, is it true that some may not be compatitable to those who usually download in PC since it requires different software or something?

3) For word\excel, can I use Microsoft software and use it regularly? Or it has to be used for the Apple software?

4) For mp3 music, I can still use Winamp as in general, I suppose? I also use Realplayer on my PC, so can it be used on the Apple iMac too?

Sorry if the questions sounds a bit dumb since I am just a beginner here for Apple and not a technical savvy

If you could advise me which model is suitable for (or if there's anything questions that need to ask me in order to verify which model suits me, please do so) would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Jessica

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Welcome to Mac-Forums Jessica

Everyone that switches to Mac from Windows does have the same problem of getting used to the OS, but it can be a very awarding and pleasant experience!

1) For what you seem to need a computer for the baseline model should be more than sufficient for your needs.

2) Yes it is true, Windows software will not run on OS X but some applications have been adapted for use on OS X so you will just have to look out for "compatible with Mac" stickers on software boxes or when downloading. However there is a heck of alot of software made for Mac only too. If all else fails however you could always install windows on your mac if there is something you cannot live without, but i'd give all the mac alternatives a try first :)

3) Microsoft Office has been made for OSX, you will have to buy "Office for Mac" or get an alternative for Mac.

4) Winamp is not compatible for Mac but Realplayer is, however you could always give iTunes a try as it will be already on the computer waiting for you ;)

Hope this helps

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 27 iMac 2.93
Dear Jessica,

As a life long PC user and I fix PC computers, I think you will love buying a iMac and love using it. Now to answer some of your questions. If you are just watching movies and listening to music with the occassional web surfing, the Core i3 model will suffice and you will enjoy how snappy it is. Although not to sure if you are going to use it as a entertainment center in your room, I personally use a 27 inch and have the apple remote to do this. Next question would be, well, yes there is some software that will not work with your apple, different OS, but you can still install windows onto your mac and use those programs, or you can VMware or Parallel it inside your iMac to run those programs. There is currently a Microsoft Office for Mac, so we got ya covered. As far as Winamp, not to sure if there is a compatible version for Mac, if your using realplayer to play movies, you can always switch to VLC player which does have a Mac version. Hopefully this helps, good luck.

Sincerely,
Housekat

Reaction score
Moved to Spain in 2000 after enforced early retire
Your Mac's Specs
iMac24,iMac27,iMac21.5-i3,iPhone4-32gb,iTouch3.32gb,iPad1,Apple TV,iPodClassic160gbx2
Being a recovering ex-Windows person, as I guess most of us are when we make the Big Move...
Yes-it's an entirely different system which does take a little time to get used to - but when you do, you certainly won't look back !
Unless people have to use certain programs peculiar to Windows for work / business reasons - I can't understand why any Mac user would want to run Windows programs or applications on Max OS X ....:Angry-Tongue:

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks for the prompt reply as I appreciate that

Just 1 question which I realised

Is that true that you can actually install Windows XP at the same time and therefore you can choose the operating system whichever you prefer when the screen comes up? (i.e. Apple iMac or Windows XP?)

If that is the case, then it seems like I have nothing to lose as for an extra choice, no? Any disadvantaged for having an extra operating system apart from wasting a little hard disk space (which is really nothing if I get the 1TB hard drive)?

Thanks

Jessica

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac24,iMac27,iMac21.5-i3,iPhone4-32gb,iTouch3.32gb,iPad1,Apple TV,iPodClassic160gbx2
Sorry for restating the obvious...

But - if u are thinking of switching from Windows to Mac..

WHY would u even want to consider using XP when Mac OS X is SO SUPERIOR ?
IF the only reason you're considering a switch is this - which won't let u learn how Macs work..
Why not save yr money as u sound very unconvinced - and invest in the Best anti-virus software - and stick with 'çlunky windows' ?
Just a thoughtO:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 27 iMac 2.93
Well, I run both Mac and Windows on my machine, main reason is I game, but yes, you can choose which operating system you boot into. The Mac OSX dvd will come with all the drivers you need for windows side, also inside the OSX is a program called bootcamp which makes it seemless to install windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Just make sure that you get a retail version of Windows XP SP2 or higher.

HTH,

- Simon

OP
G
Reaction score
Sorry for restating the obvious...

But - if u are thinking of switching from Windows to Mac..

WHY would u even want to consider using XP when Mac OS X is SO SUPERIOR ?
IF the only reason you're considering a switch is this - which won't let u learn how Macs work..
Why not save yr money as u sound very unconvinced - and invest in the Best anti-virus software - and stick with 'çlunky windows' ?
Just a thoughtO:)

You have asked a very good question

It's simple. The reason is so that I can play BOTH! One side, I can play aroudn with Mac OS and on the other hand, if I ever find it fustrating or feel like playing XP, I will switch it the other way around! If one day, I ever find Windows XP to be useless and totally get used to Mac, I can always delete it, no?

Plus, I love the screen so much since the graphic is so sharp and beautiful

Besides, the other reason is that my dad loves XP very much and I am a bit concerned that he might not like it too so I guess it doesn't hurt to install an extra operating system.

Or is my thinking very wasteful? :p

Jessica

OP
G
Reaction score
Just make sure that you get a retail version of Windows XP SP2 or higher.

HTH,

- Simon

I already have the XP2 retail version originally for my PC. Will that do? Or do I have to get like the Microsoft Office Mac version or something?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 27 iMac 2.93
That will work, but once you see the mac wallpapers and how well everything is laid out, I have complete confidence you will rarely use xp :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You have asked a very good question

It's simple. The reason is so that I can play BOTH! One side, I can play aroudn with Mac OS and on the other hand, if I ever find it fustrating or feel like playing XP, I will switch it the other way around! If one day, I ever find Windows XP to be useless and totally get used to Mac, I can always delete it, no?

Plus, I love the screen so much since the graphic is so sharp and beautiful

Besides, the other reason is that my dad loves XP very much and I am a bit concerned that he might not like it too so I guess it doesn't hurt to install an extra operating system.

Or is my thinking very wasteful? :p

Jessica
Jessica - fully understand your thinking now !
When I got my 1st iMac about 3 years back, I was stunned by how amazing it was - especially the stunning visuals - I would load the same picture on the Mac and one of my Windows desk-tops ( at the time!) - and the difference was quite remarkable !
I then got into the workings of the OS, and upgraded to Snow Leopard when it came out - and I gradually phased out the Windows p.c.'s by selling and one burnt-out after the fan got clogged and over-heated the quad core processor !
I now have 4 iMacs and a Mac Book Pro uni-body - oh - and an iPad - as well as my Apple TV and 5 iPods and my iPhone 4.
I regard my Macs as Things of Beauty !
They have restored the Joy back to Computing - something that was in grave danger after various trials and tribulations with Windows-based p.c.'s !!

Good luck to you in your Voyage of Discovery !!:)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I already have the XP2 retail version originally for my PC. Will that do?

Just make sure it is indeed a retail version (i.e. it has the holographic Windows XP logo on it) and not an OEM-branded disc (like HP or Dell), which are tailored and licensed only for that machine.

Or do I have to get like the Microsoft Office Mac version or something?

Office is separate and distinct from Windows. One is a suite of office applications and the other is an operating system. If you want to use Microsoft Office, then yes, you'll need to buy Office for Mac. With that said, I think very few people actually need MS Office, and there are quite a few viable alternatives (some of them free, like LibreOffice) as well as Apple's own iWork suite.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2012 13" MBA Core i5 1.8 GHz, 4GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, OS X 10.7.4
You can run Windows programs on a Mac by using the Boot Camp app or buying VMware or Parallels. VMware and Parallels run windows programs by using a virtual machine. This allows you to run Windows programs without rebooting. Eiter one requires a full version of Windows. You can nstall Windows XP or Windows 7 as long as you have a full install disc. Both VMware and Parallels have evolved to the point where running Mac and Windows programs is seamless and easy. Parallels seems to be the preferred app, but I've used both and either one woul be okay.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK - What anti-virus protection would members recommend ?

Do Apple not have their own - paid-for program ?

Call me conservative - but I am reluctant to allow 3rd party software on to my Mac machines:Blushing:

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
OK - What anti-virus protection would members recommend ?

Do Apple not have their own - paid-for program ?

No. Why would they?

Call me conservative - but I am reluctant to allow 3rd party software on to my Mac machines:Blushing:

Reluctant? The entire point of owning a computer is to run software on it, regardless of who makes it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.