What's causing kernel panic with Migration Assistant?

Reaction score
Trying to transfer everything over from one PPC G5 to another PPC G5 using Migration Assistant, via firewire cable. Both running OS X Leopard.

After about 10 minutes there's a kernel panic on the destination Mac, which has to be restarted. Have repeated the transfer several times, and each time there's a kernel panic.

The destination Mac has had a fresh install of OS X Leopard. Have tried transferring during the initial system setup, and still get the kernel panic.

As a test, have also tried to transfer from a G4 to the G5, and again there's a kernel panic.

I'm thinking there's a problem with the destination G5 -- but don't know what.

Any thoughts most welcome. Thanks.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
have you got the KP log?

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hmm, have you tried a different FW cable? KPs are generally due to a hardware issue.

you could try an apple hardware test on both machines.

OP
S
Reaction score
Excellent advice about Apple Hardware Test -- thank you.

It identified a memory error, so I removed the problem DIMM (and its matched pair), then re-ran AHT. Everything passed OK.

Then used Migration Assistant to transfer data which went OK.

However, at the end of the transfer I was expecting to see a message box saying the transfer was complete, and to press Quit. Instead, the screen just changed to grey all over. There's no KP message -- just a blank grey screen.

Is this normal?

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have never used it. Has the transfer worked? If so, i wouldnt worry about it.

OP
S
Reaction score
After the grey screen I did a restart, but then had a series of blue and grey screens at startup.

After this I did a fresh install of the OS, then went thro MA again. This time I DID NOT use my Time Machine backup as the source disc. Instead, I transferred from Mac to Mac, and everything has worked smoothly.

Thanks for your help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.