Worth it to buy Aluminum Macbook?

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am planning on getting my first Mac soon. I was first considering the new iMac, but now I am looking at the older aluminum macbook from one or two years ago. They go for relatively cheap on ebay and craigslist, and I am wondering if it will still be worth it to buy one? I am planning on doing video and music editing and light gaming. Would the graphics card and processor be able to handle games like starcraft II and would it be ok with using it hooked up to an external monitor? Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That depends on which model MacBook you intend to buy. The newer the better. Look for one with the best graphics card and most memory and perhaps with some Apple care remaining.

Having said that, unless you know Macs well and are a seasoned eBay or Craig's list buyer, I would avoid buying from either. The best place to buy a used Mac is from Apple. They sell refurbished MacBooks and MacBook Pro machines direct from their on line store. The machines are in like new condition and fully warranted.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
In my opinion, for it to be "worth it," it would have to be considerably cheaper than an getting a refurb 13" macbook pro, with having all specs better than the original alu macbook. The 9400m isn't really that bad, but I don't really know how much demand comes out of video editing. If the price is write, I wouldn't think twice...unless it didn't have the backlit keyboard, which was something that the base model alu macbook had missing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13inch 2.3 i5 MBP 64gb SSD 320gb HD 8gb 1333
In my experience the battery is much better on the pro which is something I would consider heavily.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.