new macbook pro 15' gaming capability?

Reaction score
hey guys I was wondering if anyone can tell me the gaming capability of the new macbook pro 15" (the one with the 6750M graphics). I DON'T want a mac for gaming, cause I already have another laptop that can handle gaming fine, but I've decided that a mac has other features that would make it suitable for school in my opinion. But I'd like to know the gaming capability of a mac because if possible I'd like to enjoy it as a little something extra.

So for example if I wanna play, Cod, assassin's creed or bioshock (all those cool PC games nowadays) and I run it on bootcamp and dualboot windows on this mac, how's the quality?

C

chas_m

I can't give you a direct comparison, but googling "6750M reviews" will probably give you a better idea of the equivalency.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
This doesn't belong in Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography. Moving thread.

OP
P
Reaction score
I did and the 6750M should be the same as my current one if not better. But I was hoping if anyone can give me some feedback on the OS because I hear that even with the graphics card, running dualboot windows still hinders performance but I'd thought if anyone can confirm all this

Reaction score
I just got the i7 2.3 with 6750m and I just gamed a bit under OS X.. Call of duty and Singularity I find that the device get's to hot.. 95 C... But they run OK.. I keep playing the big games on my PC and some smaller games on the mac... It's just not made for that kinda stuff.. I saw a guy playing Crysis 2 under Bootcamp and had lower spec's than the 6750m. Check this out YouTube - ‪Crysis 2 campaign gameplay Macbook Pro 2011 15" 2.3Ghz AMD 6750‬‏

OP
P
Reaction score
thanks. So overall, it runs games pretty well on bootcamp? If so then my question is answered.

OP
P
Reaction score
wait does this guy have a 6750M or lower? I can't open the link now cause I'm currently in china where youtube is blocked but the link says he has a 6750m

Reaction score
Sorry this guy has the 6750m ..... But there is a movie of someone with a lower spec system that play's it too.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
boot camp is free, its Windows that you need to buy.

the 6750m will probably run most new games at medium graphics settings or lower comfortably.

OP
P
Reaction score
do you know about how much is the actual max. resolution (in numbers) it can run on?

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I believe the "Max" (and also the native) resolution is 2560 x 1440.

seems from Brian's links, that with high settings (NOT ultra, bear in mind) you will get just about playable framerates. 24 FPS in starcraft. that would be just about playable, though when anything busy comes on the screen you are likely to see a decrease and jittering;

turning the res down to 1920 x 1080 would see an increase in performance, and to be honest, you wont see a difference between the two resolutions.

So, in summary, comfortably playable at medium graphical settings, just about playable on high. Certainly very respectable scores.

OP
P
Reaction score
hmm well about how good is the quality and everything on 1360 x 768? That's the best my current laptop can run games and it does so quite well. If the mac can do the same, then all is good

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
the lower the resolution, the better the performance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13MBP 2.4GHz Duo, 4 GB DDR3, Geforce 320M, 250GB HD
alright so then, how much the windows OS cost?

Depends on which version you want. You have windows 7 home, professional and Ultimate. I believe the price of Home is $190, Professional $265 and Ultimate $275, I got these prices off Newegg.

OP
P
Reaction score
hmm that seems rather expensive, considering I know I won't be doing a lot of gaming in school...

But are there more uses for a good graphics card? I'm using a student discount to get the 15" macs online, and there are 2. The one with the better graphics is $200 off whereas the other is only $100. But if gaming is the only good use for such a graphics card, then I guess it's not worth it, considering I would have also have to spend an extra $190 at least.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.