Need help accessing external hard drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP 15" 2.2GHz quad i7 4GB 1333MHz 500GB HD 7200RPM AMD Radeon 6750M w/ 1GB
So, obviously, I'm new to the Mac - just received a 2011 MacBook Pro today. And what better way to learn how to use it than to start clicking things to see what happens? Actually, not always a good idea, hence my issue: I used to see my networked external hard drive listed in the Documents window, but the drive name had an odd icon to the right of it, so I clicked it and then my external drive disappeared from the list. Now I don't know how to access it. I've searched on my Mac & the Interwebs, but no luck so far. Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro|15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare|2.2 GHz quad i7|4GB RAM
I'm guessing you clicked the eject icon next to the drive to dismount it. You'll most likely have to remount the drive. Might this be of assistance?

Also, if you click on the Apple logo in your menu bar, and go to recent items, does your drive appear anywhere there?

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP 15" 2.2GHz quad i7 4GB 1333MHz 500GB HD 7200RPM AMD Radeon 6750M w/ 1GB
You're right, it was the eject icon. Turns out a reboot resulted in reconnecting. But surely there's a way to manually remount the drive without running that app you referenced, right? (Or is that just the PC in me talking?)

Thanks again.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...a way to manually remount the drive without running that app you referenced...

"app"? ha! apparently I clicked the linked and downloaded the webpage and for some reason I thought it was an app. Obviously, I'm still figuring out some simple things.

To get to the point, I found the page you referenced to be very helpful. Thanks again!

Reaction score
Usually I unplug and replug the drive, or switch airport off then on again.

Every time you see ⏏ it means eject. You can click on the ⏏ to the right of the drives on the finder menu or you can drag the volume icon to the trashcan and the eject button will appear.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.