iPhoto delete from Album also deletes from Event

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac7,1
Hi Folks,

I am using iPhoto '11. I have been trying to organize photos within Albums and noticed that when I delete a photo from an Album it also deletes it from the Event. I am a little confused as I thought by deleting a photo from an Album it should still remain in the Event.

Is there some sort of preference or setting that controls this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

-Kevin

C

chas_m

You're right this should not be happening. Is the picture still present in the Photos view? Is the picture still available in iPhoto's trash?

How EXACTLY are you deleting the photo from an Album you created?

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac7,1
Hi chas_m,

I confirmed that the photo is also removed from the Photos view. I checked the trash and the photo is present in the trash.

The method I have been using to remove the photo from the Album is:

1) Select the album from the left side navigation. (The photos from the album are now displayed in the right side.)
2) Right click on the desired photo and select "Trash" from the small pop up window that appears.

Thanks,
Kevin

C

chas_m

Okay, I figured it out. Thanks for adding to my knowledge of iPhoto!

Basically, as the LOLcats say, yr doin it rong. :)

To remove a photo from an album but NOT from the main library, just highlight the photo and press the DELETE key.

To remove a photo from an album AND remove the photo from the main library, right-click and choose "Trash." The "Trash" command tells iPhoto that you want the photo gone from the library, which will automatically also remove it from every album or grouping in which it is present.

As you've found, "Trashed" photos get moved to iPhoto's own trash. They can be restored to their original place in the Library by viewing the iPhoto trash, selecting the photo in question you want to restore, right click and choose "Restore to iPhoto Library."

PS. Removing pictures from albums using the delete key does NOT move the photo into iPhoto's trash, because you are not removing the photo from the library. Hope that's clear!

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac7,1
Hi chas_m,

I just tried for myself and it works exactly as you described, thanks a lot for helping me out with this one!

Reaction score
Hey there,

Sorry to dig this topic, but can't find the answer I need...

I came across this problem. However, the delete key tip doesn't work for me. Whatever I do to remove a picture from an album, it is moved to the trash and removed from the event. Because it's also a published Facebook album, the only thing I can do is hide the picture in iPhoto.

I have been a huge iPhoto user (>11 000 pictures) for years, and iPhoto have never behave like this. For info, I use iPhoto '11.

Thanks for your help...

C

chas_m

Loche:

What happens if you remove the photo in question from the Facebook album FIRST?

Reaction score
Same...

This does not seems to be a bug too. This weekend, I installed a SSD in my macbook with an Optibay. Thus, I made a clean install (note : quite long to do, sorry for the late reply) and imported my iPhoto library. Still the same when I erase a picture...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.