MacBook Air Re-Install

Reaction score
Hello :)

Recently, I've gone a bit messy with my new MacBook Air and it's started to get a bit slow. Now, there are countless amounts of programs, files and downloads from me trying out my mac.

I want to know if it would be possible to completely wipe my mac so it would seem like it's brand new? I've had a google search and I do have a super drive, but my macbook air neve came with a OS X disk, only that card thing. I've tried putting that in and installing it, but nothing happens after I install it?

Please explain! :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You're supposed to boot your MacBook Air with the flash drive. Just reboot the machine with the flash drive inserted and hold down the OPTION key as soon as you hear the chime. Choose the flash drive as boot device. Once the Air boots from the flash drive, you can erase the SSD drive and reinstall Snow Leopard.

Having said the above, I strongly advise against erasing and reinstalling. Instead, download the free OnyX maintenance program and use it to perform the various cleanup scripts. (read the help file first)

OP
H
Reaction score
You're supposed to boot your MacBook Air with the flash drive. Just reboot the machine with the flash drive inserted and hold down the OPTION key as soon as you hear the chime. Choose the flash drive as boot device. Once the Air boots from the flash drive, you can erase the SSD drive and reinstall Snow Leopard.

Having said the above, I strongly advise against erasing and reinstalling. Instead, download the free OnyX maintenance program and use it to perform the various cleanup scripts. (read the help file first)

There would be too many files in unknown locations to not reinstall.. I simply had too much fun, and now I would really like to bring it back to original settings.

Is there any risks with reinstalling? Also, I have norton security, would I be able to re-install that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 2.13 Ghz, 4 Gb, 256 SSD
There is no risk to reinstalling but you will be loosing EVERYTHING!
If you have a licence for norton, yes, you will be able to reinstall it. Also, you don't really need it for Mac, check this thread here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13inch 2.3 i5 MBP 64gb SSD 320gb HD 8gb 1333
To completely erase everything when you boot from your flash drive choose tools (? i think) and go to disk utility and format the drive then reinstall OSX.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.