iMac i3 for $1,099 or iMac i7 for $1,699?

Reaction score
Alright, so currently I have been into video editing, because I enjoy it a lot. But my current computer kinda stinks. And because I'm 15 and have nothing to do over the summer, I thought I would work towards getting a decent iMac.

Currently, I have a MacBook from 2006 with a 1.83 ghz c2d and 2gb of 667mhz ram. So really any upgrade will be better. But I would like to have a current generation iMac with a 2.8ghz quad-core i7 and 4gb of ram. But it clocks in at $1,700. I also noticed a refurbished iMac with a 3.2ghz dual-core i3 and 4gb of ram. It comes to $1,100.

I'm trying to decide if I want to try to earn $1,700 in just 8 weeks, but that wouldn't be easy (because I'm only 15), so I'm thinking I should go for the i3. But I want a computer that will last for several years, and can still run some recent stuff, and hopefully will run Final Cut Pro X. Also, I want this computer to last me for at least 4 years and, again, still run recent stuff, because these computers are expensive, and I don't want to buy a new iMac every 2 years.

I can't decide, so help me: Should I go for the i3 for $1,100, or work extra harder and go for the i7 for $1,700?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Moved to Spain in 2000 after enforced early retire
Your Mac's Specs
iMac24,iMac27,iMac21.5-i3,iPhone4-32gb,iTouch3.32gb,iPad1,Apple TV,iPodClassic160gbx2
Alright, so currently I have been into video editing, because I enjoy it a lot. But my current computer kinda stinks. And because I'm 15 and have nothing to do over the summer, I thought I would work towards getting a decent iMac.

Currently, I have a MacBook from 2006 with a 1.83 ghz c2d and 2gb of 667mhz ram. So really any upgrade will be better. But I would like to have a current generation iMac with a 2.8ghz quad-core i7 and 4gb of ram. But it clocks in at $1,700. I also noticed a refurbished iMac with a 3.2ghz dual-core i3 and 4gb of ram. It comes to $1,100.

I'm trying to decide if I want to try to earn $1,700 in just 8 weeks, but that wouldn't be easy (because I'm only 15), so I'm thinking I should go for the i3. But I want a computer that will last for several years, and can still run some recent stuff, and hopefully will run Final Cut Pro X. Also, I want this computer to last me for at least 4 years and, again, still run recent stuff, because these computers are expensive, and I don't want to buy a new iMac every 2 years.

I can't decide, so help me: Should I go for the i3 for $1,100, or work extra harder and go for the i7 for $1,700?

Thanks.

You don't mention monitor size in your specs, so maybe this is of no great importance - or you missed it out ?

I bought new the i3 in the new 21" iMac, closely followed a month later by the i5 27" iMac.
Considering that the difference in price was only about 200 GBP - the 27" is the better value - it is also one of the new upgraded iMacs.

I would say - work your butt off - and get the best you can - it will last you years.
Good Luck !:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
At 600 bones, I would go for the i3, assuming it's a 27". If not, I would skip on both and wait for a cheaper refurb. 27" is a MUST in my opinion when getting an iMac...for me, it's like buying a car without a steering wheel. You should realize though, as you know, the i3's speed of 3.2ghz is not bad! Can't really compare to the i7, but it's not bad at all from my experience. 4 years will come and go in no time. I've had my mbp for 2 years(O.O) and still feels like I got it yesterday.

Reaction score
Moved to Spain in 2000 after enforced early retire
Your Mac's Specs
iMac24,iMac27,iMac21.5-i3,iPhone4-32gb,iTouch3.32gb,iPad1,Apple TV,iPodClassic160gbx2
At 600 bones, I would go for the i3, assuming it's a 27". If not, I would skip on both and wait for a cheaper refurb. 27" is a MUST in my opinion when getting an iMac...for me, it's like buying a car without a steering wheel. You should realize though, as you know, the i3's speed of 3.2ghz is not bad! Can't really compare to the i7, but it's not bad at all from my experience. 4 years will come and go in no time. I've had my mbp for 2 years(O.O) and still feels like I got it yesterday.

What are - "600 bones"?
Maybe it's an American expression - unfamiliar to we Europeans....?

I have the i5 in my new iMac 27"and the i3 in my pre-relaunch iMac 21'..

I can't imagine how the i7 could go any faster !

Some folk don't have the space for a 27"set-up !:Smirk:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.