New to macbook pro Do I get magic mouse or get used to keypad?

Reaction score
Just received my macbook pro, like it but not keypad.
Do I get the magic mouse or get used to the macbook pro keyboard?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Do you mean the trackpad?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
You must be talking about the trackpad. There's a bit of getting used to with notebook pointing device, especially moving from desktop. But the Apple trackpad is one of the best available. I have used it with Photoshop and I think it rival a mouse in some cases.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I like it so much I have a magic trackpad.. well, or I use the wacom. Kind of depends on my mood.

Reaction score
When I was new to Apple & it's products, I bought a magic mouse because from past with PC's, I hated the pad that some computers came with. Although, now, I don't even use my magic mouse, the trackpad is awesome! So unique, easy to use and can do so many things.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2010 15" MBP; late 2012 11" MBA; iPhone 5
I have a MacBook Pro and I use my trackpad exclusively. I also use a friend's iMac once in a while, and love the magic trackpad. My feeling is, the trackpad is only going to get better and better (supporting gestures; and it's great right now), and the world (certainly Apple) is probably moving in the direction of trackpad vs. mouse. You'll adapt to the trackpad pretty quickly and then you'll come to love the intuitiveness of the gestures.

If you're a serious gamer, though, I'd say using a mouse would give you more accuracy faster.

Good luck!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I also went out and bought a couple of mice when I first got my MBP. You know a smallish cheap one and one of those multi-button high dollar ones. Once you get used to the trackpad, the mice will sit there unused pretty much except for gaming.

Still wouldn't recommend a MM if you're looking for a mouse (and I've never owned one) - I'd get one that fits your hand with the combo of buttons you're looking for when gaming.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
The trackpad is great, and the magic mouse is reasonable (slightly uncomfortable, and the tracking is a bit poor in my opinion.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17"(2.8 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB mem), 21.5" Imac, 15" MBP (2.4 ghz) all running ML
I'm another user that hated the trackpad on a pc laptop and so bought the magic mouse to go with my mbp. I never use it. The trackpad is so awesome that I just recently bought the magic trackpad to use with my iMac.
Give it a try. You can always get a magic mouse later on.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I highly recommend having both. The trackpad is fantastic - but there does come a time if you're doing a lot of work where the wrist feels it - and switching the mouse makes sense. There are still things that the mouse does better as well. On the weekends when working on a research project - I have the MM sitting next to my trackpad - and use them both depending on what I'm doing. They work great together. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro 15" 2.4 GHz. Core i5 4GB 1067 MHz. DDR-3 Ram
Since I've never liked a trackpad on a notebook and always had a mouse,
the first thing I bought after a protective case was a Magic Mouse.
I can use the Trackpad somewhat, but the mouse is a lot easier for me
to navigate where I want to go.
Russ

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
I'm going the opposite way. Have been using my MBP 13 for more than a year. Recently hooked up to an external 22" monitor for clamshell usage. Now I have to remind myself to use more arm movements with a regular wireless mouse, not finger and wrist movements like with the trackpad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2006 Macbook Pro 15.4" glossy screen, 2.16 ghz, 640 gb, 2 gb ram
Apple's trackpad is phenomenal compared to the touch pads on windows laptops. My fingers easily glide across the surface. The two finger scroll and the two finger secondary click is much easier than the scrolling function and the left/right button configuration on a PC.

I also considered the magic mouse when I got my MBP four and a half years ago, but I'm glad I didn't. Plus it's just one more accessory to take up space. I say stick with the trackpad for several weeks. If after that you still don't like it then get the magic mouse.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Retina, Late 2013, Memory 8GB, Yosemite.
magic mouse

Apple's trackpad is phenomenal compared to the touch pads on windows laptops. My fingers easily glide across the surface. The two finger scroll and the two finger secondary click is much easier than the scrolling function and the left/right button configuration on a PC.

I also considered the magic mouse when I got my MBP four and a half years ago, but I'm glad I didn't. Plus it's just one more accessory to take up space. I say stick with the trackpad for several weeks. If after that you still don't like it then get the magic mouse.

i really fancy the magic mouse,im used to an external mouse as most track pads on pc are rubbish,however after reading this thread it occurs to me that i havent even tried my macs track pad,im so used to a mouse,il give the track pad a go as well

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17inch, Intel Core i7 2,6 Ghz (Boost: 3,2 Ghz), 8GB DDR3 1066Mhz, Nvidia GeForce 330M
I'm a owner of a Logitech Performance Mouse MX (Mac compatible). I like this mouse much better than the magic mouse, the magic mouse feels cheap to me compared to this mouse. Build quality is great, usb is very very small (which fits in the battery compartment when traveling).

Check it out:
Logitech - Performance Mouse MX

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm a owner of a Logitech Performance Mouse MX (Mac compatible). I like this mouse much better than the magic mouse, the magic mouse feels cheap to me compared to this mouse. Build quality is great, usb is very very small (which fits in the battery compartment when traveling).

Check it out:
Logitech - Performance Mouse MX

that looks good,im using a logitech mouse at the moment,i used it on my pc and all i had to do was put the little thingy(forgot what its called)in the usb port and it worked right away,no downloading the software,think thats one of the great things iv discovered about the mac,my printer was the same

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17inch, Intel Core i7 2,6 Ghz (Boost: 3,2 Ghz), 8GB DDR3 1066Mhz, Nvidia GeForce 330M
that looks good,im using a logitech mouse at the moment,i used it on my pc and all i had to do was put the little thingy(forgot what its called)in the usb port and it worked right away,no downloading the software,think thats one of the great things iv discovered about the mac,my printer was the same

What kinda model is your mouse? Yeah i'm the only one @ my class on school with a macbook but never had any problems with the printers and that kinda stuff.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB Pro 2010 13 inch
The trackpad is great, and the magic mouse is reasonable (slightly uncomfortable, and the tracking is a bit poor in my opinion.)

i agree. Bought a MM thinking i needed it. returned it after a couple of days. To much movement required in my opinion. loving my trackpad. I get frustrated at work now because i don't have a trackpad and forced to use a mouse. lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What kinda model is your mouse? Yeah i'm the only one @ my class on school with a macbook but never had any problems with the printers and that kinda stuff.

mines an LX8 cordless laser mouse,just noticed its for pc and mac,had it for well over 2yrs and still good,think logitech take some beating for mice

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
I hardly ever use an external mouse with my Mac. The trackpad works great. Especially with a better touch tool.
Great Tools For Your Mac By Andreas Hegenberg » BetterTouchTool, BetterSnapTool & SecondBar
Better touch tool has different settings for the Trackpad/Magic Trackpad and Magic mouse so you could have multiple different gestures on different devices. Note for CAD/Unix people - there is a middle click that is settable from Better Touch Tool.

I have the Magic mouse and went to the Magic Trackpad as I like the trackpad interface better. (When my Macbook Pro is closed, connected to my external monitor I use an external mouse and keyboard, but when I am using the MBP as an actual laptop I have no problems with the trackpad)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.