Tivo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
Getting a Tivo this year from my parents. Can't wait. I'm sick of watching commercials and stuff that's "just on". Now is the time to watch what stuff I actually wanna see, and just toss all the other stuff aside. Can't wait.

Anybody else got a Tivo?

Interested in Tivo? Check out : tivocommunity.com

M

monkeyboy

we have a TiVo on every TV and it has really changed the way we live, it is one of the best devices to buy and defineately worth every penny and the new TivO series2 could only be better.

You will love your TiVo! We have the Sony one that is bundled with DirecTV. Which one are you getting?

OP
Emrys
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We are getting the cheap 40 hour AT&T branded model ( which is the Tivo brand model ). I already have a 120 gig drive to put in it, and already have the USB network set-up for it to make it's daily calls over the internet instead of a phone line. It's pretty cool, just added a second access point, and hooked up a switch, which will in-turn hook up to the Tivo ( and gamecube, if it every go's broadband ).

We are going with the AT&T model because, if you don't, you can't control the cable box over a serial connection. Which I really want it to do. I don't want to risk trusting the tivo 100% without know that it will make the channel change when it's supposed to. If you check out the forum in the other link, you will see that this is a HUGE issue with a lot of people.

Can't wait... Did I already say that ? :)

OP
Emrys
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Got the Tivo for X-mas... Turns out my wireless network wasn't coopertating, so I just dragged a cat5 cable to it, and it is using the internet to make it's daily call. I don't have a land-line so this was a must-have feature. When I got it, I had to make the intial call from my 'rents house so that it would update the OS to support USB ethernet. So, I am psyched about that. Thing works great....

I also upgraded the hard drive last night, I put in a 120 gig drive which gives us 144 hours basic quality ( not that great ) or about 93 or so hours on medium quality ( much better ). So I think I will put another 120 gig in soon, and that'll give us a little more than 180 hours of Tivo experience. :) The upgrade went absolutely flawless, and only took about an hour due to the backup/restore/test of the orginal HD image. But the thing smokes now ( faster drives make the interface a little zippier ).

Spent a while last night just going crazy and hitting "record" on everything that looks cool, so hopefully tonite I will have something to watch besides live TV.

So far, if I was you, I would get one! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
living on my own has taken me away from having anything cool besides my iMac. TiVo is something ill have to wait until after college to get, becuase hopefully ill be making enough money then for all the toys i want.

OP
Emrys
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Was reading about this... That would be cool. I am still waiting for people to hack the series2 Tivo, so I can start burning DVD's :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.