Problems Connecting on Wireless with MacBook Pro

Reaction score
For the past week, connecting on my MacBook Pro has been really finicky. Sometimes, I can stay connected for hours at a time, but for the majority of the day my laptop doesn't seem to want to stay on the internet. The network I'm trying to connect to is the network at my house. Everyone else in the house connects without any problems, so it is either specific to my laptop, or to Macs since everyone else has a PC. I have been able to successfully connect for the past year to this very network, with absolutely no problems.

If i tell my Mac to turn Airport off, and then turn it back on, I will be reconnected. However, I will only be reconnected for about 30 seconds before I'm kicked right back off again. Sometimes if I move my laptop to another location, it might stay connected for about 20 minutes. I have also tried things like restarting my computer.

It is a mystery to me why I can't stay online, and how I can fix this. It is seriously driving me crazy.

OP
S
Reaction score
For the past week, connecting on my MacBook Pro has been really finicky. Sometimes, I can stay connected for hours at a time, but for the majority of the day my laptop doesn't seem to want to stay on the internet, despite the fact that the network is shown as connected with full bars. The network I'm trying to connect to is the network at my house. Everyone else in the house connects without any problems, so it is either specific to my laptop, or to Macs since everyone else has a PC. I have been able to successfully connect for the past year to this very network, with absolutely no problems.

If i tell my Mac to turn Airport off, and then turn it back on, I will be reconnected. However, I will only be reconnected for about 30 seconds (if that) before I'm kicked right back off again. Sometimes if I move my laptop to another location, it might stay connected for about 20 minutes. I have also tried things like restarting my computer.

It is a mystery to me why I can't stay online, and how I can fix this. It is seriously driving me crazy.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Merged threads.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thank you, my connection went down right as I hit send, so as a result I double posted.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
There are lot's of potential causal factors. For starters - I'd direct you here. Mac-Forums Blog » Networking » Wireless Networking FAQ Read through that and then post back if the problem remains unsolvable. A couple of high level questions/considerations/conversation starters. Does this MacBook Pro exhibit this behavior on another network attached to a different wireless router? Do you have other wireless devices on this network?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2016 Macbook Pro 512g.15" 16g.ram Ipad2Air 64gb wifi+4g Iphone 6s 64gig
This could well be my story. This been happening to me on macbook pro as well. Two other windows computers run fine with no disconnect. It is an inconvenience as well. I am open to any suggestions.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thank you for the link, I'll look through it as soon as I get a chance. To answer your questions, I have never had this problem on any router I've been connected to, but I would be interested to see if I do now since this problem never existed until recently. The two other computers connected to this particular router are both on wireless connections.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.