Attaching Word docs in Hotmail

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Mac OSX version 10.5.8 Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Menory 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Hi,

when i attach certain docs and docxs in hotmail it says cannot attach cos file is 0 bytes. happens with both doc and docx.

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Attaching in a browser or via a mail client?
How big are the Word docs really?
Do you have another email provider? Do the docs behave the same on that account?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Mac OSX version 10.5.8 Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Menory 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
In safari, i think it happend after they added silverlight if that is what that document vieweer thing is when u view a word doc in hotmail - you must excuse me I am not overly technical.

Have tried it with doc and docx some attach others say file is empty.

They are small files 108 kb or something, just 2 page word docs. Do not know how to set up the other email thingy when my computer asks me if i want to set up account.

I am using hotmail in safari.

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Do not know how to set up the other email thingy when my computer asks me if i want to set up account.

I am using hotmail in safari.

thanks

When setting up hotmail to work with your Mac's Mail App, it is pretty straight-forward.

When you get to this screen, make sure the Account Type at the top is POP and use this same Incoming Mail Server. Fill in the other fields.
Mail3-1.jpg

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yeah i may need to post another thread about setting that up! I put pop - and then it asks for incoming email server - i've only really used email online apart from outlook at work and that stuff is confusing - is incoming mail server my hotmail account? Also when it asks me for email address (presumably hotmail account in my case - it asks for password - is this my hotmail password or computer password?
Thanks

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i mean if i set that up presumably i can send email from mail on my mac? But it still doesn't clear up why it used to work when i attached these type of docs in hotmail and now cannot...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
yeah i may need to post another thread about setting that up! I put pop - and then it asks for incoming email server - i've only really used email online apart from outlook at work and that stuff is confusing - is incoming mail server my hotmail account? Also when it asks me for email address (presumably hotmail account in my case - it asks for password - is this my hotmail password or computer password?
Thanks

If you read my previous post all the way through you'll see I answered that question. = "Use this same incoming mail server"
So use the same as what is in that screenshot.

i mean if i set that up presumably i can send email from mail on my mac? But it still doesn't clear up why it used to work when i attached these type of docs in hotmail and now cannot...

Yes, you can send mail from that app instead of logging into hotmail.com. I don't know why you had the issue with attaching docs, but it very likely could be a problem with hotmail.com being finicky. I've never had any issue attaching Word docs (.doc files) to emails using Mac's Mail App.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you read my previous post all the way through you'll see I answered that question. = "Use this same incoming mail server"
So use the same as what is in that screenshot.

i'm not seeing the screenshot it says picture removed...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.