Applications User and Home Folder

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I am the only user on my imac and I've just realised that there are some apps on my home folder but not in my user folder. How come some apps load to the home and some to the user folder.

Is there a way I can consolidate them so they are always the same because it's really annoying and I'm OCD like that ;p

Appreciate any help!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Some Apps automatically go into the Applications folder. With others, you get the option of where they go. You've obviously chosen your Home folder for those. Just choose the Applications folder in future.

For now, just drag the ones in your Home folder over to the Applications folder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
And then there are others who complain that they have too many things in the "main" Applications folder, and want to move them elsewhere!

When updating, the installer of some apps might not find it in your Home/Applications folder. You'll end up with two versions.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Apps in the /Applications folder are for all users. Apps in your home Applications folder are only for you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.