Macbook Not Charging! Need help ASAP!

Reaction score
Hello fellow forum users,

Recently I've been having issues with chargers. Well... I'll say ever since I got my macbook, actually, in July 2008. I've gone through four chargers.

Not more than a month ago, I got a new charger because the old one stopped working. That charger worked for around 6 months. No I don't move around a lot when I'm on my mac. It just simply stopped working. I'm using the new maglite charger.

Just a few hours ago, my macbook refused to charge. Again. Changed outlets four times, switched the maglite around a few times, wiggled it, nothing.

Could there be something wrong with the hardware and not the chargers that is doing this? I'd really like to know what to do without going to a mac store first because the closest one is over an hour away. :/ And I'll be a little annoyed if the charger lasted less than a month. That's really stupid.

Thanks for your help.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Ever checked the contacts at the MagSafe port on the laptop itself? Is it dirty? Because it's magnetic, it can have a tendency to draw in debris. I like to turn my machine off, get a cotton swab in there with some alcohol on the tip and swab it out until it looks like new on occasion.

I've been through three MacBook Pros and owned 6 of the adapters, and in that time, only one has failed - and only after it was 3 years old.

OP
O
Reaction score
Yep, just did that, it didn't work.

Any other ideas? It's not like I've been abusing either the computer or charger... I don't understand. :/

OP
O
Reaction score
Update:

Used a roommate's charger, and it works. :| My charger is dead. Why does this keep happening? Could somebody explain why my chargers keep dying? I'm really not happy about this.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Is it possible that there's environmental factors at work (high humidity, high temps, poor circulation near the adapter, bad power - spikes or surges). Do you pull on the cord to remove it? Wrap the cord too tightly?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.