New iMac HDD noise?

Reaction score
Hi!

I bought an iMac last year which emitted that constant, "grumbling stomach"-type noise, even when I wasn't doing anything. (It also had a slightly yellowed screen, but that's another story). Putting something soft under the base didn't work, and even music couldn't always drown it out. I found the noise really irritating so I sent it back.

Now that listenupsteve.com no longer exists, I have no clue where to check whether or not this issue has been addressed in the May 2011 release of the iMacs. I think Seagate drives were the biggest culprit noise-wise; are they still being used in this new update? And while we're at it, are yellow screens still an issue? Would love to hear feedback from anyone who's bought one of the new iMacs. Thanks! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Hi!

I bought an iMac last year which emitted that constant, "grumbling stomach"-type noise, even when I wasn't doing anything. (It also had a slightly yellowed screen, but that's another story). I found the noise really irritating so I sent it back.

Now that listenupsteve.com no longer exists, I have no clue where to check whether or not this issue has been addressed in the May 2011 release of the iMacs. I think Seagate drives were the biggest culprit noise-wise; are they still being used in this new update? And while we're at it, are yellow screens still an issue? Would love to hear feedback from anyone who's bought one of the new iMacs. Thanks! :)

I have last year's iMac and have no problem with a yellowing screen or noisy hard drive. Did it ever occur to you that maybe you just got a bad unit and there's no inherent "issue" to be fixed? Those things do happen.

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi, Lifeisabeach! It did occur to me, so I did several hours of research and found many other people complaining of the same things. Quite a few of them sent for four or five replacements and still ended up with a nosy drive. It's not really a computer problem, it's just that certain drives tend to be noisy... I think Seagates were the worst, Hitachis were hit-and-miss, and WD's were silent for most people (I have one in my MBP and it's dead silent). The problem is, you can't specify what brand you want. That's why I'm wondering whether, by some chance, Apple might have stopped using the Seagates.

Here's one example: http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-825849.html

Out of curiosity, what kind of drive do you have?

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm with Brian on that. We just purchased a new iMac 21.5" as a desktop replacement for the office. Beautiful machine, fast, quiet. And it has a Seagate Hard Drive. :Smirk:

OP
M
Reaction score
Brian: Thanks! Exactly what I was looking for on the yellow tint issue. :) Nice to know that it doesn't seem to be happening as often as it did in the past.

Chscag and Lifeisabeach: Thanks, that's reassuring! I think I might just try again.

OP
M
Reaction score
Update time: I finally ordered my iMac, and its Seagate drive is completely silent. Virtually no yellowing either. :) Couldn't be more pleased!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.