Cannot switch between applications, use drop downs etc

Reaction score
I hope someone can throw some light on this problem before it drives me insane. For some reason, and not after the installation of any new software or updates, I cannot switch applications anymore. When I use CMD Tab it shows my active applications, but where I normally keep pressing cmd tab to cycle through them to select one, it is flashing through them without any input from me as such a speed that you can't choose one. It's like the keys are being pressed repeatedly as fast as the computer can do it. If I use expose (or is it spaces?) to show the windows I have open I cannot click on one to select it using the mouse. I initially thought that I had a problem with the keyboard, but it still failed with mouse only, and normal use of the keys is not affected.

I restarted the computer and opened text edit to see how it switched between two apps, but this is the same.

I also have a problem in Firefox, where I cannot choose an item in a drop down select list, and if I add a bookmark it flashes the dialogue box up for a split second and then it disappears, adding the bookmark as if an "ok" button is pressed immediately. It's OK in Safari and Chrome. There are other applications that are a bit glitchy when trying to select text using the mouse.

It is like there is a constant keystroke happening which interferes with certain functions, but I am lost. Any ideas? Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I'd say you've got a stuck key. Any spilliages on the keyboard?

Give the Tab and CMD keys a few presses. Are they moving freely ?

You don't say what hardware you're using but is it possible to try a different keyboard?

OP
D
Reaction score
Hi mrplow, thanks for responding.

The first thing I thought about was the keyboard, as many a person I know has been floored by such a simple thing, but the keys are working fine, and I am using a different keyboard now for this reply, just in case, but that also does not stop the rapid "pressing". The other point is that I cannot switch by going to expose and clicking on the window I want to use their either, which is not using the keyboard, and things like auto complete on the firefox address bar flashes up the choices menu then disappears in a split second.

Sorry, should have said, I am on an iMac, SL 10.6.7, 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB ram.

I thought it was a Firefox issue, but I have upgraded to v4 and nothing has changed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Are you able to open a text editor, say text edit and type normally into that?

OP
D
Reaction score
yes indeed. Most aspects are working normally, and both the command and tab keys are working separately.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Is this problem confined to one account? Try creating a new user account and see If that account is affected as well. If it's not that would suggest there are some corrupt files somewhere in your existing account.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thank you for helping out on this. I am not normally beaten on things and couldn't figure out why it wasn't a simple key stick. I have now found the culprit - I have a mouse with a scroll wheel that can tilt left and right. This was set to horizontal scroll and had obviously stuck, giving a permanent signal. This doesn't affect many things, but when I was using photoshop and the image scrolled it gave me a clue. Bloody thing - watch out for this. I couldn't understand why it was restricted to just a small number of things.

Thanks again for the replies.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Wow never would have guessed that. Thanks for posting the fix. What kind of mouse was it?

OP
D
Reaction score
No problem, I always curse when I find a useful thread that matches my issue and it is either not resolved, or worse, the original poster says "it's OK, I have fixed it" and doesn't leave their solution - that really winds me up!

It's a logitech MX cordless mouse (I threw my "magic" mouse out of the window and went old school)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for posting back.

Welcome to the forum BTW

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.