HELP! Want to wipe my imac but keep itunes playlists

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a imac with snow leopard installed which is running really sluggish.

I want to do a complete wipe and re-install of Snow Leopard but I don't want to loose my iphoto pics/albums or my itunes library/playlists. I don't mind re-installing my other software.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Copy the xml file from your iTunes library folder to a flash drive. This stores all your playlist data.
You can then copy that to your new iTunes library once you re-import your music.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
A complete wipe and reinstall isn't necessary. Before you do that, try running some basic maintenance on the machine (if you haven't already done so). If you have already done this and the problem still isn't resolved, create a new user account and test with that.

Remember OS X isn't Windows. It doesn't have a registry that causes "rot" over time, and the core OS won't allow any significant modifications to it. Reinstalling is almost never necessary.

Reaction score
Moved to Spain in 2000 after enforced early retire
Your Mac's Specs
iMac24,iMac27,iMac21.5-i3,iPhone4-32gb,iTouch3.32gb,iPad1,Apple TV,iPodClassic160gbx2
A complete wipe and reinstall isn't necessary. Before you do that, try running some basic maintenance on the machine (if you haven't already done so). If you have already done this and the problem still isn't resolved, create a new user account and test with that.

Remember OS X isn't Windows. It doesn't have a registry that causes "rot" over time, and the core OS won't allow any significant modifications to it. Reinstalling is almost never necessary.

I was in a similar position with my first Mac - my 3 year-old iMac 24"which was clogged-up etc and running slower than normal etc and was thinking of doing a re-install coming from a Windows background, where this sort of thing is not uncommon
I followed guidance given by the excellent experienced regular boffins here, and downloaded Onyx which worked great on my oldest iMac to help clear up a lot of unnecessary stuff etc
Worked a Treat !
Like a 'spring-clean'!:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.