Battery / Charger / magsafe - another spill thread

Reaction score
Let me start by saying that I read the sticky on spills and searched for the answers to my question before posting, but have had no luck...

Background: I spilled about 12oz of 7up on my wife's 13" Macbook Pro. It is a silver unibody that she got new in December 2009. I was using the computer at the time and had it pluged in, running off the magsafe plug. The unit immediately shut down without any sizzling noises. I unplugged it and then completely disassebled the computer, first sopping up all the pop, then cleaning any residue with q-tips and isopropyl alcohol and finally drying everything individually with a blow dryer, alternating between warm and cold air to prevent overheating anything. I then reassembled the laptop and fired it up with greadt pleasure as everything functioned perfectly until I plugged the charger in. I got no green light, no indication of charging and a battery indicator that continued to slowly wind down. I shut it down and disassembled it again to make sure I didn't miss a connection and I didn't.

The questions that I can't find answers to are:
- Is ther a way to test the charger to make sure it is working without having another macbook to plug it to?
- Is there a way to test the battery?
- Is there a way to test the mag safe module that is separate from the logic board?

The local apple store won't touch it if it got wet / once they see the liquid indicators lit up and they said it will be $700+ to send it back to apple - ouch!

any help would be appreciated - my wife is ready to kill me and I only have 3 hours of battery left before she just might do it.

Thanks - Jonathan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2011 15" 2.0Ghz (hi-res, Momentus XT). 32GB iPhone 4.
I would recommend trying to locate a friend that has either a macbook or a charger in order to try and determine which of the 2 it is.

You could always go to an apple store and just tell them you are having an issue with the computer, can you check if one of their chargers works on your device. I can't see them having an issue with it. Worst case scenario, it doesn't work and they say it will cost X to fix it, you can decline and try to fix it yourself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Since the actual charging is controlled by the logic board, the charge light will not become lit if the charging circuit does not tell it to. So the above is about the only advice I can give you.

Aside from that, this is identical in symptom to when my wife had a single drip of water (from condensation on the glass even) drip right onto the charging circuit of her macbook.

Reaction score
Same problem :s

I am having the same problem as you're. I spilled water on it, and it won't turn back on after a day of drying in front of a fan. The charger doesn't light up when I plug it, so I am assuming the Logic board went bad.

How much does it cost if I fix it by myself? How much does the logic board cost?

Reaction score
I just checked it and it costs $699. Very frustrating :s
What do you think about repair ads on ebay that say they have over 90% success rate on repairing water spills for about $300?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.