How can I convert ALL my iTunes to mp3??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15"
Sometimes I pull in a track or sound effect to Final Cut Pro via the desk top, and FCP doesn't recognize the file format because it's m4a, so I have to convert it in Wondershare Video Converter - which is fine, but is there a simpler way of doing it?

I don't need my iTunes in any other format than mp3.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Strange as M4a is AAC and superior to MP3 and Final Cut should work with AAC as it's Apples default. If you convert from AAC to MP3 you will have more loss. Converting between any two lossy formats makes the sound worse.

OP
Shoeboat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15"
Yeah, FCP has started to show me that it isn't perfect. It did it's first unexpected quit yesterday - I thought, 'here we go'.... :)

C

chas_m

I suspect your crash and your inability to use AAC in Final Cut are related. AAC works fine here. In fact, Final Cut supports every format QuickTime supports.

There is a good reason NOT to use AAC, MP3 or any other lossless format in a video project. This is because every time you edit and re-save, your audio will get RE-compressed. As you can imagine, that will degrade the sound pretty quickly. Use a lossless codec (AIFF is the recommended format as it is ideal for editing), not a lossy codec, for music in an FCP video project.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Agreed with Chas. Use uncompressed audio to start with or you will end up with a lot of loss in the sound quality, even with AAC. AAC is excellent for a Lossy format but still Lossy! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
The other thing to think of is if you bought the song from iTunes and it has DRM, FinalCut may be blocking it from being used. I have had this issue with some files as well.

Try opening it in GarageBand as a track in a new project. If it will let you open it, then Share it back out as an MP3 file. This has worked for me in the past.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Haven't tried it but could the issue be the AAC file is copy protected and therefore Final Cut won't let you use it?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Haven't tried it but could the issue be the AAC file is copy protected and therefore Final Cut won't let you use it?

If they are from iTunes store, that could very well be it. Late last night I did not even think of that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.