Slow Internet Problems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
A friend of mine is having some problems with his Comcast cable internet. He says Comcast advertises that he should be getting 4mb/s, yet in reality, he is only getting around 647KB/s.

We really noticed it was slow, when I "raced him" for downloading an Apple software update he told me about. I started after him, but was finished about 2 minutes before him, and I have Verizon DSL.

I connect wirelessly to the internet via a wireless G router.
My friend is connected directly to his router via ethernet. I have 5 other computers on my internet. He only has two on his internet.

What could be slowing my friend down? Cable internet should be considerably faster than DSL, correct?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Click
HERE to get a better idea of throughput.

Cable's max speed is 4mb but that is not guaranteed. Try the Modem directly to the Mac. The run the TEST again.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
He will most likely need to call Comcast.

M

menace3054

rman said:
He will most likely need to call Comcast.

comcast is screwy. I pay for the ulta fast 6mbps connection, yet i usually get only 4mbps dl speed. there could be a number of issues causing your friend's slow connection. 1) comcast shares connections with neighbors. His neighbor might be using a lot of bandwith up (although not to this extent..it may be one of a few problems, most likely not the key factor.) 2) his cable modem might not be compatabile with comcast's network, i tried going to comcast.com to get the list for you, but their website sucks and is down as usual 3) the actual line from the ouside box to the house might have a problem with it. I had the same problem, and comcast had to come out and replace the line.

M

menace3054

oh yea, and since dsl is dedicated solely to one user, it may be faster than cable. for example, i have comcast 6mbps cable. I switched to dsl 1.5mbps through quest (its 40 cheaper a month) and am in the process of cancelling comcast. Even though my comcast was 6mbps, i rarely exceeded 800kbps downloads. With dsl, i somtimes get faster dl speeds than that. I dont think most websites will allow a user to truly download at speeds higher than that.. i actully like my slow 1.5mpbs dsl a lot better than my "fast" 6mbps cable

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Comcast speed tiers range from 4.0 to 8.0 Mbps download speed (maximum upload speed from 384Kbps to 768Kbps respectively). The speed tier received and pricing will vary depending upon the speed tier selected and the level of Comcast video service and/or digital telephone service (if any) received. Speed comparisons are for downloads only and are compared to (as applicable, to 56K dial-up, 768Kbps, 1.5Mbps or 3.0Mbps DSL). Actual speeds may vary and are not guaranteed. Many factors affect speed. - per Comcast

M

menace3054

rman said:
Comcast speed tiers range from 4.0 to 8.0 Mbps download speed (maximum upload speed from 384Kbps to 768Kbps respectively). The speed tier received and pricing will vary depending upon the speed tier selected and the level of Comcast video service and/or digital telephone service (if any) received. Speed comparisons are for downloads only and are compared to (as applicable, to 56K dial-up, 768Kbps, 1.5Mbps or 3.0Mbps DSL). Actual speeds may vary and are not guaranteed. Many factors affect speed. - per Comcast

its 8mbps now?

M

Merlinblack

Basically it boils down to the fact cable is shared throughout the section of the city/town that you live in. If it is a busy time of day (5Pm - 10PM around here) your speeds will suffer (or your friend's speed in this case).

Try the same download at 3AM I bet you friend would kick your but :p

I have no experience with comcast myself but the company in my city (shaw) does slow down alot during the busy hours of the day so this isn't that unusual.

Reaction score
Is he using a router? If so, it may need to be reset.

ed724

Z

zippy_nz

Check out this product, OnSpeed. its an internet accelerator which is compatible for your Mac. It sits quietly in the background, and flexible enough for you to turn it on or off. Trials have showed that it increases broadband / dial-up speed to up to 10 times, some times, even more. Go and have a look - http://www.onspeedasia.com

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.