Can You Hear A . . .

Reaction score
. . . "click" when you pick up your MacBook Pro? Like maybe the hard drive brake is engaging?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
HD motion sensor parking.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
OP
M
Reaction score
HD motion sensor parking.

Thats what I thought. But I asked the question because I did not hear it until yesterday (after three months of ownership).

So, nothing to worry about.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
It will only park if the movement is jolting enough, rather than a smooth fluid motion.
I used to hear it occasionally with my MBP, depending on how gentle I was picking it up, or more so, conscious of how I was picking it up.

OP
M
Reaction score
It will only park if the movement is jolting enough, rather than a smooth fluid motion.
I used to hear it occasionally with my MBP, depending on how gentle I was picking it up, or more so, conscious of how I was picking it up.

Hmm. Well, I can't say that I'm picking it up this month any different from the way I was picking it up last month, but I'm backing up my files.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Experiment a bit, you will see that it only takes the slightest change in the way you pick it up to trigger it.
Also, room noise will effect whether you hear it or not.
...and you have time machine on there, and you should always be backing up your files anyway :)

OP
M
Reaction score
Experiment a bit, you will see that it only takes the slightest change in the way you pick it up to trigger it.
Also, room noise will effect whether you hear it or not.
...and you have time machine on there, and you should always be backing up your files anyway :)

Duly noted, 6. And you are quite right about backing up. However, my back up disk is connected by Firewire, and I often unplug it. I don't need TimeMachine to execute backups every hour. It becomes a pain in the tush.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't back up every hour, or day for that matter either.
Pretty much, only if there is some major update or testing that I am doing, or if there is something that I add that I would be devastated if I lost, then I do a backup.
Otherwise, I perform a Time Machine backup and a clone around once a month.
This won't work for everyone, but for me, it has worked, apart from once, when I lost a music project I was working on that I thought I backed up but didn't.
Now, any time I make a change to any songs I'm working on, I do a quick backup.

OP
M
Reaction score
I don't back up every hour, or day for that matter either.
Pretty much, only if there is some major update or testing that I am doing, or if there is something that I add that I would be devastated if I lost, then I do a backup.
Otherwise, I perform a Time Machine backup and a clone around once a month.
This won't work for everyone, but for me, it has worked, apart from once, when I lost a music project I was working on that I thought I backed up but didn't.
Now, any time I make a change to any songs I'm working on, I do a quick backup.

Is it possible to reschedule TimeMachine so it backs up daily or weekly instead of hourly?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
i have a related question. Since I have changed to a different HDD from the original, I don't here this 'click' anymore. It is the same with the previous MBP 13" I had owned. Not sure if it's a good or bad thing. Just curious as to why the original but not the third party. But Apple uses third party HDD also. The first one from my MBP was a Seagate. My current MBP came with a Hitachi drive as original equipment. But since I replaced them I don't here the 'click' anymore.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
It's possible that the HDD manufacturer uses a different parking method.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.