PowerMac G4 AGP 400Mhz question!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo - eMac 1.42 GHz (RIP) - iMac G3 400 MHz - iPad 2 16GB
I don't mean to de-rail, but I love threads like this. What is it about Mac people that we will buy nearly-obsolete computers, essentially, just to have one more Mac in our homes? I'm "this close" to buying another eMac to replace the one I accidentally killed. The 1.42 GHz eMac is a bad*** machine.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP Late 2010 2.4ghz, 4GB, 250HD - 2010 iMac 21.5-inch 3.06GHz Intel Core i3, 500HD, 4GB
I don't mean to de-rail, but I love threads like this. What is it about Mac people that we will buy nearly-obsolete computers, essentially, just to have one more Mac in our homes? I'm "this close" to buying another eMac to replace the one I accidentally killed. The 1.42 GHz eMac is a bad*** machine.

So true, I want to buy me a G5 next! then a iMac or something!

EDIT: Because so many companies manufacture PC's, Only one manufactures Macs! That's what I love about Apple, they depend on themselves!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I would listen to the mods on this one! I have a dual 533mhz G4 that I installed OSX10.5 with Leopard Assist, and it was unbearable. Went back to 10.4 right away. It's also not even worth the upgrades to make it any faster, when something better doesn't cost much more than the price of the g4 + whatever upgrade.

I don't know. I personally just like to have them since they have been reliable from my experience growing up. I have 1 PowerMac G4, 2 PowerMac G5's, and a Macbook Pro. If I get another old Mac, it's probably going to be a 12" PowerBook...love those things!

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP Late 2010 2.4ghz, 4GB, 250HD - 2010 iMac 21.5-inch 3.06GHz Intel Core i3, 500HD, 4GB
I would listen to the mods on this one! I have a dual 533mhz G4 that I installed OSX10.5 with Leopard Assist, and it was unbearable. Went back to 10.4 right away. It's also not even worth the upgrades to make it any faster, when something better doesn't cost much more than the price of the g4 + whatever upgrade.

Yeah, I'll probably buy a G5 or something! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
I'm running a game server (minecraft) on it, but it isn't compatible, or, it's just not working and I can't seem to find a fix.

Haha, good to see another Minecraft player on these Forums. Anyway, the short answer to your question is that your Machine is too slow to run a minecraft server. No amount of ram is going to help that, and even if you could get it to work, you're gonna lag unbelieveably. Heck, my iBook can't even play the game itself, nevermind host a server and I have nearly 3x the processing speed. :p

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Haha, good to see another Minecraft player on these Forums. Anyway, the short answer to your question is that your Machine is too slow to run a minecraft server. No amount of ram is going to help that, and even if you could get it to work, you're gonna lag unbelieveably. Heck, my iBook can't even play the game itself, nevermind host a server and I have nearly 3x the processing speed. :p

I actually fixed it to run, it's not laggy at all when I tried it on my MPB with the server coming from the Powermac, the only reason it needs RAM is because objects are coming back when I destroy them, haha. I dont know if it will work out, but, we shall see!

And also, the actual Minecraft Game takes up a lot of processing power, all the server mainly runs off of is RAM.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
sooo, what about linux or ubuntu?

I haven't tried linux (ubuntu is also linux) on a Mac since before OSX. But I use linux in my work every day.
You will be pleased with YouTube and flash and other browser support, and CPU response, etc. But you will be disappointed if you need the convenience of iPhone/iPad/iTunes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.