Speakers for MacBook Pro

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I'm looking to get some speakers for my Macbook Pro. I've recently been using an old Logitech 2.1 system but it's pretty old and doesn't sound that great. I used to have a JBL Creature - I was really surprised at how good it sounded for something so small. I never watch movies on my MacBook, it's just for music and the odd video so I don't want to go crazy. I was looking at the Creature again and version III has been released for around £70. Can anyone recommend anything else for around this price that's any better than that?

Thank you so much in advance.

Have a great week! :)

Reaction score
These are twice your price range, but they offer quite a bit better sound. In fact, no powered speaker can match them in this price range.

AudioEngine 2 (£139)
Audioengine 2 - PC multimedia speakers - 30 Watt (Total) - 2-way - high-gloss white: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Reviews:
Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Audioengine 2 - PC multimedia speakers - 30 Watt (total) - 2-way - satin black

Here is a review of them from Stereophile magazine, which is a very picky publication:
Audioengine 2 powered loudspeaker | Stereophile.com

If you are looking for something that is less expensive, I highly recommend that you audition any speakers that you might be considering, as all of the speakers in this price range have limitations and so will lend themselves to one's particular taste (or not.)

Among very inexpensive computer speakers, I like some of the offerings from Altec-Lansing:

Altec Lansing VS2621 Speaker System: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Altec Lansing Premium speakers for PC & MP3 players with built-in dual subwoofers: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Altec Lansing VS4621 Octane Plus 2.1 Speaker System for: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

OP
darrylyoung
Reaction score
Thanks for such a comprehensive reply! I'd never heard of Audioengine until you and someone on another forum recommended the A2 speakers at pretty much the same time. I've read the articles you sent and found some more reviews - they seem great and definitely something I could probably justify the extra money for. I'm going to read a few more articles but I'm pretty sure I'll go for these.

Thanks again, you were a great help :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.