Stream music to HIFI

Reaction score
Hi
How can/what do I need to stream music played on my Macbook Pro to my Hifi.
The Hifi is Cambridge audio seperates.
thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Airport Express :)
One of those and a wi-fi connection is all you need.
That's probably over simplifying it a little, but it is so easy. Of course there are other methods, but this is probably the cheapest.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 MBP 15" i7, 2.66 GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OS-X 10.7.2; iPhone4 iOS 5.0
Kevriano said:
...but this is probably the cheapest...

hmmm... yeah, I did see the keyword "streaming", but I just have a cable from the earphone jack which goes via 2x RCA straight into my Bose stereo! Far & away the cheapest solution there is, I reckon -and the least complex! Works well if computer & stereo are relatively closely co-located ;-)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I would use Kevriano's advice and get an optical cable for the connection thats what I did it will be bit perfect to the DAC in the Cambridge for the best audio or you can get a long optical cable from the MBP and hook it up to the Hi-Fi either way bit perfect. The cheapest place I found for the cables is Monoprice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Any of the above are acceptable solutions, it all depends on whether you want to have a cable running from your laptop to the stereo or if you want to do it wirelessly.

Another option is an Apple TV, same price as the Airport Express, but would only be practical if the HiFi is already hooked up to your TV.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
We use the Airport Express to connect to a speaker system and it works beautifully. One thing I've discovered, if you set your iOS device to play iPod music through the remote speaker, just about every app I have with sound will also play through the speaker. Kinda cool, if you want to stream from Pandora or Slacker.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.