Need help in transferring from 1 mac to another

Reaction score
Hello,

In January I dropped my macbook and shattered the screen. I purchased a new macbook and am just now getting around to transferring my info into the new computer. I have purchased the appropriate cables so I am able to plug my old computer into my television so I can see what is going on.

When I start up my broken macbook it appears to only load with the original background (purpley-blue outer space looking stuff) with no icons or task bar available for me to load data (being viewed through my television). The battery was dead and I am charging it but I am so far unable to access anything on it.

Do any of you out there know how I can get these icons back on the screen so I can access my data and get it moved over? Thank you so much for any help or suggestions that you have. I am now concerned that I not only broke the screen but totally jacked up the computer itself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Look to see if you selected mirror in display in system preferences. Sorry wan't paying attention about busted screen if its an older Mac press F7 if its newer the only way I know of is to hook an external keyboard and mouse and close the lid then as soon as you hit any key it should default to normal screen.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.