Windows 7 slows down Mac?

Reaction score
I own an early 2011 Macbook pro. The reason I bought it is because I wanted to play the withcer 1 & 2 and Diablo 2 & 3. Those were the 4 games that I plan to play on it. The witcher is A windows only game so I was going to install windows 7. But then I read on this forum that it slowed peoples computers down a lot.

Does anyone know if this is true & if I'm going to have trouble running the witcher and witcher 2 on my mac using windows through bootcamp?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

Windows 7 will run just as fast on your Mac as it would on any qualified PC. No slowdowns. I don't know where you read that in these forums, but there are always folks who will comment to the negative. Take it with a grain of salt and see for yourself. As for the games you mentioned, I have no experience with them. Perhaps someone else will chime in give you an answer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 13-inch Mid 2007 | 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo | 3GB Ram | 250GB Hard Drive | 2nd Hard Drive 80GB
Yeah my Win7 runs just fine on my Mac.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You don't run Windows through Bootcamp. Bootcamp is an installer and drivers. Once it's installed, Windows boots native just like on the same PC hardware.

Reaction score
no, but if you have a old macbook or anything. xp is better than win7. xp is the best os that has ever been made.

if it is for gaming, windows xp is way better than win7. win7 sucks.

Reaction score
I run Windows 7 with VMware Fusion on my MacBook Pro with OSX. I run both Win7 and OSX simultaneously...FAST. I love it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
XP the best ever made?

Wow. EP welcome to the forums and go for Windows 7 as it is much superior to the old, dated XP. It will not slow your Mac down.

Reaction score
The key difference is between Virtualised and Native OSs

I own an early 2011 Macbook pro. The reason I bought it is because I wanted to play the withcer 1 & 2 and Diablo 2 & 3. Those were the 4 games that I plan to play on it. The witcher is A windows only game so I was going to install windows 7. But then I read on this forum that it slowed peoples computers down a lot.

Does anyone know if this is true & if I'm going to have trouble running the witcher and witcher 2 on my mac using windows through bootcamp?
It's probably people trying to run Windows 7 Ultimate in emulation (via Parallels, VMware Fusion, VirtualBox, etc.) on older Macs that just aren't up to spec.

Bear in mind that a Mac running Windows is essentially just another PC, and so the minimum hardware specifications for any particular version of Windows will be the same. If you try to emulate Windows 7 on a Mac that only has the minimum requirements for that one OS, then sharing capability between Win7 & OSX will mean that both are underpowered.

However, BootCamp is not an emulator; it's a combination of an extension to Disk Utility that creates a NTFS partition on your Mac's main boot drive for installing Windows on, and the "Bootcamp.exe" App to run in Windows once you've installed it - the App adds the option to pick the primary boot partition in the Windows control panel, and installs all the drivers for any multi-touch or Apple-specific Bluetooth input devices, iSight/FaceTime camera, etc.

Once that's done, then you'll have probably the best PC there is! Windows, but with custom Mac-hardware drivers (ported directly from OSX's own bespoke Kexts) - and with the option to switch between them just by holding-down the Option key when you reboot.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.