Time Machine/Migration Assistant taking forever to restore MBP

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

So I recently upgraded my 500GB Toshiba 5400 RPM HDD to an OCZ 90 GB SSD. My roommate has a Macbook Pro 5,1 C2D 2.53 Ghz processor.

When I upgraded my roommate said he was almost out of room in his 250GB Hitachi HDD and I offered him mine, as I am not planning on using it for anything.

Yesterday we installed the 500 GB HDD in his MBP and did a fresh install of Leopard (10.5.8) with his install disks, that took 5 hours to do which I thought was a long time compared to the 35 minutes it took to do mine. Today, we tried to Time Machine to put all his data (approx. 220 GB) on the hard drive when we booted the fresh install for the first time. We started it at 9 am and at 3pm it was not even at 10%. We stopped that and booted up the MBP and tried to use "migration assistant" to bring over his data - and since 3:00 pm (it is now almost 5:00pm) it is barely past a little sliver complete and it does not give us an estimated time.

Anyone have any idea if this is normal, or how long it should take?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No, it shouldn't take near that long. Are you sure the 500 GB hard drive that you removed from your machine is OK? Have you tested it by running Disk Utility verify and repair or FSCK from the command line?

OP
bentharbour
Reaction score
The 500 was okay when I was using it, but it is possible that it has been damaged while doing the installation or something. I will run disk utility on it when my roommate gets home. Thanks for the suggestion

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.