Watching TV/Playing Xbox on 2011 iMac 27"?

Reaction score
I was wondering if one would be able to connect their cable box and/or xbox to the new iMac? I will be getting one soon and I would like it to replace the HDTV in my room as well. I have seen devices such as the Kanex XD, but my cable box (Verizon FiOS) and xbox don't use HDMI, just standard RGB cables. Is there anything similar to the Kanex XD that uses RGB cables? Thanks.

Reaction score
The only thing I can think of is to buy the Kanex XD and buy a couple of RGB -> HDMI converter boxes/cables. I have never tried this, so I don't know if it will work well. The quality might be poor.

I though all Xboxes have HDMI support? Check that, and if they do, why not just buy an HDMI lead for it? Doesn't help with the cable box, but oh well.

OP
V
Reaction score
Xbox does support HDMI and that wouldn't be a problem at all. But I really don't want to add 25+ dollars extra per month on Verizon just for HD service in my room and an HDMI cable. I will try and research more, thanks for the help!

Reaction score
Well you don't really need their HD service...
Like I pointed out, you could buy a Kanex XD, and then buy an RGB to HDMI converter box (I think you can pick one up for around $50). You plug your RGB cable into the RGB -> HDMI box, and then the HDMI box goes to the Kanex.

I think that is your best bet to be honest. Have a look at Radioshack or something for RGB to HDMI conversion boxes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.