10.3.9 Loops/fails in Finder on boot

Reaction score
Mac user of ~6mos experience, coming from Windows. Running on Graphite (I think) G4 400 mHz. Has been entirely satisfactory system up to now.

After an overnight (normal) shutdown, it hung after booting with dock displayed but nothing on desktop. Force Quit showed only Finder and gave only option as RESTART, which got me nowhere. Disk utility found errors but gave up on repairs. I did use the bootable DU on install disk 1 to copy the HD successfully to another HD which I can boot without a loop but still nothing is displayed on desktop.

Some utilities in dock work normally -- Ical, System Preferences -- but Finder ignores me.

There are a couple of options that are obvious to me:

1. Diskwarrior in bootable form -- I guess I should see if the downloadable one will run on the new HD first, but otherwise ...

2. Buy a set of disks for this machine (my install disks are for an iBook, hence can't be used to restore a complete system.

Other thoughts? Maybe replace Finder? Or data files it uses?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.