Can't remove I.E. sit file

P

ptrau

I run OS X 10.2.8 on a G4 PowerBook. I use Mozilla Firebird and Thunderbird as my main browser and email clients after finding out they are much faster and don't crash like MS products. I have a file on my desktop that I can not remove. The file name is: InternetExplorer522.sit. I Googled this file and it appears to be an installation file. When I try and drag it to the trash, I get an error message that this file is in use by another program and can't be deleted.

view error message

I guess this is just a petty obsession because it really doesn't keep me from doing anything...it just drives me crazy.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
quit all applications then try (everything)Then repair disk

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
check what proccesses are running by using the activity monitor... close all these proccesses that are not needed by the system (after a restart) and then try to delete the file you want to.

also what iNap said, repairing the permissions is always a good thing to do when something is not functioning correctly, and should be done every/every other week depending on how often/intensly you use your computer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.