Early '09 MacBook - Inverter Failure

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook (Early 2009)
Hey guys, I was wondering if you could tell me how much it'd cost at all, via the Genius Bar in an Apple Store, to get the Inverter replaced for the LCD Backlight in my Early '09 MacBook.

It's out of warranty, hence the question about cost.

Cheers,
Adam.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13inch 2.3 i5 MBP 64gb SSD 320gb HD 8gb 1333
Um... not positive what the apple store does for this. If they replace the whole clamshell like they do with a lot of display problems then it will cost to a lot, a whole lot. like 500ish

It will cost you <10bucks to do it yourself.

PS I am talking in US dollars not pounds

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you have an early 2009 MacBook the inverter can be replaced without any further changing of parts. It's only on the later model MacBook Pro machines that Apple will replace the entire clamshell whenever they do work on the display. The later models don't use an inverter anyway. :)

I would give them a call first and ask what the cost will be. You may be able to do the work yourself. Take a look at the procedure on the ifixit web site. iFixit: The free repair manual As for the actual cost of the inverter, you'll have to check around locally. You may be able to get one on eBay.

And one more thing.... how do you know it's the inverter that has to be replaced?

OP
Adzy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook (Early 2009)
Yes I have the Early '09 MacBook. I know its the inverter because I can see the screen is working, its just its near black but the desktop etc is still noticeable. When turning the brightness down to 0% then back up, the screen either flashes or lights back up, then goes off again instantly pointing to the Inverter for the backlight.

My friend's had exactly the same issue, and I don't think it cost him much. I'm going through Apple for a fix because I don't feel confident enough to take my MacBook apart and do it myself, in-case I break something and then I'm without a computer all together.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.