Possible Serious Security Threat To My MAC

Reaction score
Does anyone recognize what this is? It is coming from an IP address of 178.162.157.232, in Germany.

Do I follow the steps with it, or is this a trap?

WHAT.jpg

Larger view here: http://aloeye.com/1Miscellaneous_Pictures/WHAT.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Looks like a bogus pop up message to me. Probably to get you to buy some junk application that does nothing but cost you money and possibly to obtain your personal info like your credit card number, etc. I would cancel the message on the screen and avoid any future notifications.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What I did was close the tab. Don't click on anything, just close the Tab. Nothing happened when I did except it was gone. Also make a note of what URL took you there and avoid it.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That's exactly what it is. Just close the window and delete the files that were downloaded.

Excellent advice. If he is using Safari, also be sure in Preferences and General that Download SAFE files is Unchecked! If it is, nothing probably downloaded.

OP
V
Reaction score
Excellent advice. If he is using Safari, also be sure in Preferences and General that Download SAFE files is Unchecked! If it is, nothing probably downloaded.

It was checked, but not anymore - Thanks!

OP
V
Reaction score
Hunh!?

This is the final report:

One or more infected files were found, but were left where they are. You can either deal with them yourself, or scan again with the preferences set to move them into a different folder.

Well, I want them deleted, how do I "Deal with them myself"? What good does setting preferences to put them in a folder? I guess I am confused.

Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
IF its on your Mac somewhere use Spotlight to find the file using the file name and then find the path to it and trash it . ... . .. .

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Hunh!?

Well, I want them deleted, how do I "Deal with them myself"? What good does setting preferences to put them in a folder? I guess I am confused.

Any suggestions?

Final report from what?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13inch 2.3 i5 MBP 64gb SSD 320gb HD 8gb 1333
Hunh!?

Any suggestions?

There are no infected files except this program.

Do this:

All you have to do is go into Safe Mode. Mac OS X: Starting up in Safe Mode
Then go into the Applications Folder > Choose MacDefender.app > Move to Trash. (in Safe Mode)
Reboot normally and reset Safari.

Replace "macdefender.app" with whatever this program is called.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just the programs final statement / summary.

The point to realize is that 'program' is a fraud. It is malware - and it is designed to entice you to provide credit card information. Simply close it. Do not click on anything it prompts you to ...better yet - just hit cmd+q - then go to your apps folder - drag it to the trashcan - and look for any packages that were downloaded, starting with your downloads folder, and drag to the trash. Then empty the trash - and you'll be fine.

I haven't seen the 'reports' that Randy mentions but I don't doubt at all that variants are evolving. I'd be interested in any links to those reports though. I do know, from first hand experience, that the steps I described or provided to you in the earlier posted link will take care of the problem.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am going to try a variant as soon as I can find one and will report back.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.