Mac Pro MA356LL/A Upgrades?

Reaction score
I want to see the 'specific' upgrade options for my new (to me) Mac Pro.
Anyone know of a website that would be good for this?
All the websites I've visited so far have too many options for my tiny brain... I can't tell if I'm buying a part for a 2010 pro or mine... or does it matter?

Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Perhaps if you told us exactly what you would like to upgrade on your Mac Pro one of our members who is familiar with the Pro could assist.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And what model Mac Pro is it? Go to About this Mac > More Info > Hardware and second line will say it is a Mac Pro 101, 2.1, 3.1 etc. Different models use different memory etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here is a link to OWC who offer lifetime guarantees with their memory, and believe me they do honor it all the way down here to Australia.

Mac Pro Memory

Also consider an SSD also from OWC, such as the Mercury Extreme. After that we can talk graphic cards and processor updates.

OP
G
Reaction score
This is what I have.... (well... arriving tomorrow)

Mac Pro 3 Ghz Dual Core , 1 gig memory, 250 gig hd, MA356LL/A

It is my first Mac, I bought it used from Teksavers , Austin, TX.

I'm from the pc world, but I like the macs interface and want to try it .... I just didn't want to invest $2500 into it.
Can I upgrade this? Do I need to? (other than more memory) It comes with Leopard 10.5 , I purchased Snow Leopard 10.6.3 to upgrade to.

As you can tell. I'm a pc guy drowning in Mac soup... throw me a line...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have heavily upgraded my 1.1 Mac Pro, but apart from boosting memory to say 4GB, there is nothing you need to do immediately. Optional things include the Bluetooth and Airport cards, SSD hard drive, and a faster more powerful graphics card. Also later you can install Quad Core processors if you wish to do so.

What is handy is a set of the original install discs that came with the machine, OS X.4.7 which includes Apple Hardware Test, a great trouble shooting utility. Also when you get the Snow Leopard discs, erase the drive and do a clean install so it is as you would like it.

Manuals are available online from Apple if they do not come with the Mac Pro. Just do a Google search 'Apple Manuals'.

http://support.apple.com/manuals/#desktopcomputers

Also this link contains handy reading:-

Apple Canada - Pro - Pro Tips

OP
G
Reaction score
Thank you Harry. I am planning on 4 or maybe 8 gig of memory, a ssd , it already has
(2) 3 ghz dual core processors. I am unsure which airport card to buy... I want wireless internet and blutooth.
I don't think it is arriving with the original discs, but I purchased a retail copy of Snow Leopard. Thank you for the links, I had already found the manuals.... but the second link is very helpful.

Greg

OP
G
Reaction score
Got my Mac Pro yesterday... pretty cool! I upgraded to Snow Leopard... breeze.
It's fast! Even with 1 gig... I'm looking to upgrade to a min of 4gig, any good deals out there? Also.... the apple SSD is $1200 :eek: Is there an alternative?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Try OWC for memory from my earlier link. Today they have some memory for Mac Pro 1.1 on special so be quick. Do not buy an SSD from Apple. Suggest using say a 60GB SSD from OWC again, and the joy of a Mac Pro is you can install a 7200rpm backup drive in position 2,3 or 4 and use that for a lot of your storage.

OP
G
Reaction score
OK... I received my Airport card and blutooth card today.... installed them... now what? The software seems to know they are installed , but neither operate properly. The wireless card wants to connect to another computer... I want it to connect to my time machine...

Reaction score
Moved to Spain in 2000 after enforced early retire
Your Mac's Specs
iMac24,iMac27,iMac21.5-i3,iPhone4-32gb,iTouch3.32gb,iPad1,Apple TV,iPodClassic160gbx2

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
BTW: thank you to the hundreds of people who choose not to help....

What is this supposed to mean!:Angry:

If folks don't have an answer to your problem they can't very well help can they??? If you want to continue receiving help in the future...it's probably not a great idea to take on this attitude!

- Nick

OP
G
Reaction score
Wow!
Well... I've got both working now. Man those antenna wires are a bear!

Thanks Harry!
And... for anyone doing this mod, the website in my above post is a great walkthrough.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.