Stellar Phoenix question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.66 Ghz, Snow Leopard 10.6.8
Hi,

I ran a scan for graphics on my computer yesterday. I think I forgot about it and then shut things down for the night. My computer did its usual auto boot up this morning (Automator) and I just went to open Stellar Phoenix and it wants me to put my password in so it can "make changes". I can't get past that box in that program..

Does anyone know what changes it might be wanting to make?

Thanks.

I have a MBP 2.66 ghz with snow leopard 10.6.7

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Which Stellar Phoenix application are you using? Are you referring to the data recovery program for OS X? Hard drive scan and repair?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi,

It was the free download version and I was scanning for data recovery.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The free download of Stellar Phoenix data recovery won't actually recover any data. It just shows you what you can recover. (Read only trial) The program must be registered first - in other words, buy a license.

I have no idea what changes it wanted to make and since you were running the free trial version, it shouldn't be writing or changing anything.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hmm...I wonder what's up then.

I was just checking to see if there was anything left after I ran "erase free space" in disc utility. I'd found pictures of all kinds (ones I had had no clue were there) when I was scanning to try to find a file that I'd lost when a program crashed. I wanted to clean things up, ran 'erase free space' (x7) and wanted to check if all was gone.

Is there another way to check given Stellar P wants to make changes that don't seem to make sense? Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not really any way to check without buying a recovery program. Most of them like Stellar have trial versions but they will only operate in read mode. I have a copy of Data Rescue 3 that I use but it's fully registered. Programs that can recover lost and deleted files and folders need to have access to an external drive in order to save the files and folders it finds. I still don't understand why Stellar wanted to make changes.

I have their "Bad Copy Pro" for Windows which I have used on occasion and it has never (as far as I know) changed anything.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm thinking that I should uninstall Stellar P. And then maybe re-install later with a new download.

I don't need to recover any lost data. I just wanted to check that all the 'crap' I discovered was actually gone. I had pictures galore of stuff I didn't know I was downloading! It was quite diverse too and a little disconcerting.

Uninstalling....just drag it to Trash?

Thanks again!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If all you did was drag it to the Applications folder on initial install and never did give it your password that it asks for the first time you try to launch it, then yes, just drag it to the trash.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If it asked for my password in order to launch I'm figuring I probably put it in. It wouldn't have worked otherwise...would it? If I had put the password in, is there a different way to uninstall?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.6.4), iPod Touch
mcoltezo !!!
Most of the data recovery programs are ready-only so it will not do any change in your system..
I think it asks you for system privilege i-e if you have your system password protected..I download its free demo version from its official Mac website to check whether it asks for any password. if you have your system password then it will ask for password. I Just uncheck my system password and click ok [ blank password ] it starts running...
25r0dhc.png

See Image it will help !!

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Ben,

Thanks for you input and your experimentation. I have to say I'm still nervous that it asked about making changes. It never did that when I opened it before. I think the complication is that I'd run a scan, forgot and shut down the computer. I don't know why this would be a complication but something wanting to make changes and not telling what they are makes me nervous. I can't afford to have any problems. I've just closed the program and presently am not worried about seeing if those images were still in my computer.

I'll probably have a look for a different program that does what this one does and try it. I'm not in any hurry anymore. I was able to acquire the thing I'd recorded and which was lost when Soundtrack Pro quit suddenly. My new quest was started only by accident when I ran the scans for the lost audio file and in the process, I found stuff that I didn't specifically put there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.6.4), iPod Touch
Hi mcoltezo
Uninstall the program by dragging it to trash either manually remove the program.If you had installed the program inside a folder or sub-folder of the Library folder[home directory].Please make sure that you delete what you want to delete and not touching the other files. Then install the fresh program from Apple Downloads or its official website.I hope it will help !!

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the help! (sorry to be so long responding.)

:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.