MBP very slow during installation of Snow Leopard

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a MBP 15" (2,53GHz Intel core 2 duo, 4GB).
I installed a new harddrive from WD with 1TB of capacity.
I wanted to install Snow Leopard 10.6,
on the screen you see that it only lasts 25 minutes, while there for half hour on it. This is just about every minute.
I have been chosen for the file system; Mac OS Extended (Journaled).
it makes me crazy, I hope some one have a conclusion and a solution for this.

thank you in advance

ps: My apologies for my bad english.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
For one thing, the hard drive you installed is larger (thicker) than what is recommended for installation in your MBP. That may cause overheating of the drive and can further damage your machine. The drive you have is 12.5mm thick; thickness should not exceed 9.5mm.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13inch 2.3 i5 MBP 64gb SSD 320gb HD 8gb 1333
Im not really understanding your problem? Did it ever finish, if so how long did it take?

Having a 12.5mm HDD in a MBP has been documented successfully multiple times.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Just because it has been documented and installed successfully doesn't mean it's right. Placing a 12.5 mm hard drive in a MBP that is designed to support a 9.5 mm drive will also void your warranty. If the machine is out of warranty anyway, then you take your chances....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just because it has been documented and installed successfully doesn't mean it's right. Placing a 12.5 mm hard drive in a MBP that is designed to support a 9.5 mm drive will also void your warranty. If the machine is out of warranty anyway, then you take your chances....

It also dosent mean its wrong... and if you replace the drive with the original if it breaks and take it in apple will never know.

Also the heat created from a HDD is much less than a CPU that is working hard so heat generation is not something I would worry about.

Now can we try to answer this persons question rather than debating if he should have done something which he already did. I have seen you dont like doing unsanctioned repairs and mods of computers and I mean no disrespect but aren't forums like this the best place to discuss and discover what is possible with these mods and troubleshoot what problems arise?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It is wrong if the drive bay is designed for accepting a HDD of a certain height and you exceed that height. But, to each his own. If you want to place an oversized HDD in your MBP, go right ahead. It's your $$$. But in these forums we try to steer folks into doing the right thing, not what we think might be OK.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It is wrong if the drive bay is designed for accepting a HDD of a certain height and you exceed that height. But, to each his own. If you want to place an oversized HDD in your MBP, go right ahead. It's your $$$. But in these forums we try to steer folks into doing the right thing, not what we think might be OK.

You might as well just tell them to call apple then. If you aren't willing to try anything new or exciting there is no point in being on a forum (yes I know you are a staff member). Everything else is a quick google search away. These places are meant to be a place to discuss things that you cant find immediately with people that are passionate about the computer they work with not a generic answer that a genius would give them. We should be here to solve problems tell people off because you dont agree with a mod they made.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I realize that you like to be argumentative and sometimes your replies are OK, but you're way off base here. As for trying anything new or exciting I suggest you try it on your own equipment rather than give misleading advice or tell someone to do something that is contrary to what is right.

We should be here to solve problems tell people off because you dont agree with a mod they made.

You're correct that we should try to help solve problems. We do that by giving good advice. I don't know where you get the idea that we're telling people off?

And as far as my not agreeing with the mod he made, I never said that. I informed him correctly that the drive he used was not designed for use in his machine. That's known as good advice.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
You might as well just tell them to call apple then. If you aren't willing to try anything new or exciting there is no point in being on a forum (yes I know you are a staff member).

What you don't realize is we have covered this topic many times before...and we have received feedback from folks that have tried to install a 12.5mm drive in their MacBooks/MacBook Pros ) which originally came with a 9.5mm height drive)...and they agreed that the drive was too tight of a fit.

These same folks then returned the 12.5mm drive they purchased...bought a slightly lower capacity 9.5mm drive (but still a big upgrade from the stock drive)...installed it...and were happy as a "pig in mud".:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.