MB does not start up anymore

Reaction score
Hi,
My MacBook (MB) does not want to start up anymore.

Most of the time, the screen just stays black with the little light going on and of (stand-by light). If not that, I get the white screen with the apple-logo but nothing happens.

It's since several weeks like this and this is what I tried so far:

- Starting up with resetting parameters RAM: no effect
- Cleaning and completely erasing my Hard Drive: no effect
- Reinstalling OSX: no effect
- Taking out the two RAM modules and switching their place: no effect
- Running Smart Utility: says that my HD is okay
- Running Applejack:
After having installed Applejack and having restarted my MB, a black screen appreared with all kinds of things running on it. It stopped doing anything with the sentence:

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: kernel_task

The computer did not do anything anymore then so I just hold down the switch-on button to shut it down.

Is my logic board dead?

Thanks for advise,

Glenn

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your logic board is probably OK. Try to start the machine in Safe Boot Mode: Hold down the shift key as soon as you hear the chime. Let's see if it boots.

You should also try booting the machine with your original startup DVD if the safe boot doesn't work. Let us know what happens.

Reaction score
I had the same issue and it was the cable from the hard drive to the logic board. Very easy to change yourself.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks for all advise so far.

I started up with the original startup dvd and it worked well. Without that cd however, it doesn't start up.

I opened up the computer and the cable to the logic board, from the HD, is okay.

I'll still try to start up with the shift key and let you know. I really hope this problem gets solved!

Thanks,

OP
G
Reaction score
@ mgriffin13:

Was your cable between HD and logic board broken? I mean did you have to put in a new cable?

If yes, how did you discover the cable was dead?

Thanks,

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.