Macbook air

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir1,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 1.6 GHz Number Of Processors:
Why does the macbook air gets hot and mean very hot? I love macs but its so annoy cause it gets so hot..

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
This doesn't belong in Apple Desktops. Moving thread.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13inch 2.3 i5 MBP 64gb SSD 320gb HD 8gb 1333
Because it has a fairly large amount of processing power in an extremely small package.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir1,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 1.6 GHz Number Of Processors:
Thanks.. its annoying tho. its gets so hot that its hard to hold my laptop sometimes

Reaction score
It should not get hot just sitting there browsing the Internet. There may be some program running in the background that is driving your processor to work very hard and that you don't want running. If so, you can find it and kill it off using Activity Monitor.

What model/year do you have and does it only happen when you are doing certain things?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 2.13 Ghz, 4 Gb, 256 SSD
What does hot mean? Do you use something to monitor the temperature? You can download iStat Menus (google will lead you the right way), it has 14 days trial I think.
CPU normal temperature should be 90 degrees Celsius at most. If it's less than that, it's fine. Mine is at about 50 while doing a little browsing, some text editing and a bit of chat, but spikes up to 80 or more if I play hd movies or edit some raw images or other intesive things.
Also, you should know the MacBook Air is not a laptop (eg: designed to be used on your lap) but a Notebook. If you keep it on your lap or on a surface that does not allow proper ventilation, it will be hotter than usual.
If you really want to keep it on your lap, you could buy an iLap or something like that, at least that's what I ended up doing because I couldn't stand the heat on my legs any longer :)

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@wheelguy it gets hot when im just surfing the internet. when i start playing music its gets super hot also. i use activity monitor and i kill all apps that im not using but its just crazy. i love macs but im getting ****** at the sametime, thinking about getting a macbook pro.
Model Name: MacBook Air
Model Identifier: MacBookAir1,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 1.6 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Epuria it gets so hot that its warm to the touch dnt know if you leave your hand long enough if anything would happen. right now just surfing i can feel the heat on the keys itself. i really dont think it is normal to be this hot.

C

chas_m

There is a reason why Apple NEVER EVER refers to its notebook computers as "laptops."

For a variety of reasons -- not just the heat -- it is strongly advisable to NOT use a notebook computer on your lap for prolonged periods.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Chas i usually have it in my lap.. Its sits on ny desk at home so i can do homework.. Im just tryibg to figure out if theres a way to prevent it from getting so hot. Btw its not the best notebook to use for djing.. Hopefully i dnt burn something up because my applecare has expired..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 2.13 Ghz, 4 Gb, 256 SSD
As I said before, if you really want to keep it on your lap buy something like an iLap or some other laptop stand, otherwise it will get hot and you will feel it. I really don't know what you mean by hot if you can't say a number. It's normal to feel warm to the touch.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.