help buying a macbook

Reaction score
I am currently attending college for IT in networking and security. Should I stick with a pc or is a MAC going to be fine. I'll be taking programming c++ classes and such. For some reason I've always wanted a MAC. Any thoughts?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Not anything goes in the Lounge. Moved to Apple Notebooks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13inch 2.3 i5 MBP 64gb SSD 320gb HD 8gb 1333
When I was in school I liked writing code a lot in OSX (I liked aquamacs a lot more than emacs) but for my first class my teacher provided us with a graphics libraries which I could never find for OSX so I had to use windows for that class. But I just ran windows on my mac and was fine. I would not be surprised if you need windows quite a bit while you are in school but if you want to just bootcamp or use schools computer labs then you will be fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13inch 2.3 i5 MBP 64gb SSD 320gb HD 8gb 1333
Yep it should be just like having a windows laptop.

Reaction score
A better alternative is to get/upgrade your Mac to 8gig RAM. That would allow you to run more than one Win virtual machine on your mac - very useful for creating Win server networks - all on just 1 machine for very little $. Besides, you'll love using the Mac for some things and Win for other things. Give 2-4gig to Mac, then 1-2gig per Win VM (1 gig for Win7, 2 for Win2008 server). You could run from 2-6 networked Win machines this way. Don't expect much speed out of the Win machines unless you either do a minimal install and keep them mostly idle, or also pay for a big SSD.

I like OWC for both memory and SSD... http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/apple/memory/

CGI

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro
I was new to Mac this year and got some great advice from these forums;

Run a Mac like it's meant to be used. If you can avoid putting Windows on it, give that a try. I found that to be good advice.

I've not ran into a single need to run Windows programs having found many free apps that work equally well on Mac. I am 100% Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.