Overwrite the onboard sound

Reaction score
Hey guys.

I'v have had this problem for like a year now. Ther's a jackstick stuck inside the audio plugin and i'v tried everything! belive me.. As i'm noget going to pay the amount needed for a new mother board, i wanted to tjeck this out...

I'v heard that the Griffin iMic USB adaptor might be able to "overwrite" the onboard sound. And thereby giving me sound trough the USB.

Does anyone have any experience with this and does it work :)?

Hope someone can help :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel iMac, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, iPad, iPhone 4, iPods, AirPort blah blah
Hi there.

If I'm reading your query correctly, you're wanting to output your system sound through USB.

This is automatically activated by Audio MIDI Setup when you connect via USB an audio device (say a DAC for example). As long as you have an appropriate audio device connected, USB will transmit audio data. Once the device is connected, you can select USB as an output from either Audio MIDI Setup directly (the 'Source' drop down menus as below) or from the Sound pane in System Preferences (select the device from the list).

Personally, I would remove the jackplug from the socket though, not a tricky task - if you're ok with opening your machine.

Audio MIDI Setup:
AMS.jpg

System Preferences Sound:
SPSound.jpg

Reaction score
You could just get a good USB hub and get multiple benefits - 5 USB connectors, 2 of them up-powered, audio out, and video out for a 2nd monitor. All this, for the cost of 1 USB in and power plug - what's not to like?

Be sure to choose one that has video drivers for your flavor of OSX. For my 64 bit version, I like the new Kensington (not the old Kensington).

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply :)

I'm abit confused.

Filterlab, i'd rather not open op my mac, i'v heard its not a good idea + i'v never done it before :).. But its possible ?

But if i understand you right - if i buy any audio USB device, like som random USB headphones and plug em in. i'l be able to "override" the onboard audio if i go and activate it?

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply :)

I'm abit confused.

Filterlab, i'd rather not open op my mac, i'v heard its not a good idea + i'v never done it before :).. But its possible ?

But if i understand you right - if i buy any audio USB device, like som random USB headphones and plug em in. i'l be able to "override" the onboard audio if i go and activate it?

Any Mac compatible USB audio device should add a 2nd audio device to your machine, which you then select as described above to use for output.

On my Mac, I have 3 audio out devices - internal, speakers in the Cinema display, and big external speakers through my Kensington audio-out port - all by just plugging 1 USB plug into my Mac.

I have to choose which one to use as only 1 can be emitting sound at a time. Usually, that would be my big external speakers, but when I unplug my laptop, the Mac internals are switched to automatically.

OP
D
Reaction score
niccce and thanks :)

I thought that as long the jack pin was stuck inside, then my mac would automaticly overwride all other USB audio devices.. I guess i was wrong :).. thx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel iMac, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, iPad, iPhone 4, iPods, AirPort blah blah

That's spot on my friend, anything USB audio will instantly activate the USB option as an audio output on System Preferences 'Sound' or Audio MIDI Setup. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.