Garage Band 2011 not syncing multitrack recording tracks

Reaction score
Greets, all, and thanks for these forums. They have helped me a number of times over the six months I've had my iMac.

At the moment, making multi-track voice recordings on Garage Band is useless. I create the first track, and then record the second one while listening to the first. I make quite sure I am with the 1st track to which I am listening, but when I play it back, the 2nd track is invariably a quarter-second behind and gets worse as the playback continues.

I've tried turning the snap-to-grid off, but that does not help. Using the metronome does not help. Even my first track on playback is not synched to the metronome. My ear is quite good, and I'm quite positive it is not me.

I've had this problem with Audacity before, and from what I can tell, this issue is endemic to every audio-recording-editing software title on the planet. I am a singer, and if I can't do multi-track recordings, then Garage Band is of little use to me except as a podcasting medium.

iMac 27"
OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
Input source: USB mic
Output source during recording extra tracks: headphones
Yes, I listen to my previous tracks when recording new ones.

Many thanks, all!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.