Can't boot up: MB says I modified a system file

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz Intel Core Duo, 4GB RAM, 250GB SATA HDD
MB Early 2008 v10.6.7
2.4GHz Intel Duo Core

I was surfing the web today when my Mac started acting really buggy. It was very jumpy and laggy, so I proceeded to restart the mac (I didn't do a hard reset, I Shut Down via the Apple menu).

When it restarted, it booted up okay, but after the screen with the apple logo, the logo changed to a circle with a diagonal line through it (the prohibition sign). This tells me, from past experiences, that the MB can't find a crucial system file/folder. I don't recall doing any sort of that thing, though.

I have read the Apple article on the prohibition sign. It said to use Disk Utility from the install disc to repair the disk. The disk is listed, but the button to repair or verify it is grayed out.

I have ran the Apple Hardware Test. I haven't tried the extended/full test yet, but the basic one said no errors. I do have a backup of my HD; is it worth reformatting the disk and performing a clean install? Might my hard drive be dead and need to be replaced?

Thanks, for any help!@ ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Did you boot from the install disc by restarting with the DVD in, holding down 'C' immediately after the chime, selecting language, and in Menu Bar select Utilities > Disk utility and run Repair Disk from there? You cannot repair a disk you are booted from, maybe that is why the option is greyed out.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That might explain why I couldn't repair the disk.

I'm completing the Hardware Test now (the full test). Should I perform a clean install?

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, the extended Hardware Test results came in. I had this error:
4hdd/11/40000004:SATA(0,0)

I did a bit of research, and I can conclude that my drive is failing. It had to a defective drive because this drive is only 1-month old. I'm asking for a replacement.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Okay, the extended Hardware Test results came in. I had this error:
4hdd/11/40000004:SATA(0,0)

I did a bit of research, and I can conclude that my drive is failing. It had to a defective drive because this drive is only 1-month old. I'm asking for a replacement.

HDD's can realistically fail at any given time. With that said, I hope everything goes well with the replacement! If you take it to an Apple store, and it fails their hardware test, they will most likely replace the hdd under warranty, if you have extended an extended warranty, or bought the drive from Apple. Not sure about other stores' policies.

Reaction score
It could also be the hard drive cable - those little connector springs wear out or get corroded. May as well get a new cable while you wait for your new drive to come in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
It could also be the hard drive cable - those little connector springs wear out or get corroded. May as well get a new cable while you wait for your new drive to come in.
That's most likely not the case. The hdd cables on the 08 and up macbooks work(due normal wire design, also similar to other sata laptops) in a way that if it does fray, or if the internal wire gets cut, it will completely fail, which isn't what this is showing. It will also give different error codes. This error code has more to do with the failure of the internal file management of the HDD, which is caused by a failing hdd. If you copy the error code, you can actually find out more info on the exact problem via Apple's technical help. I wouldn't waste money on a cable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.