iMac 27 - Boot Camp / Hard Disk Partition issue

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I've just taken delivery of a mid 2010 iMac 27 i7 with 1tb hard disk (That makes a weird gurgling sound at times - rather like the sound of my stomach rumbling...), anyway...

I have made a partition for windows with bootcamp and installed windows 7, all is working perfectly...but!

In windows I used the built in tools to shrink the size of my main win 7 partition and I created a new partition with the space to keep as a common files drive to make it easier to find music/movies/documents on either OS. That partition works fine on Win 7 but Snow Leopard cannot see it at all.

I'm running Paragon on the mac side of things (incase that's relevant).

Any ideas how to fix this issue (ie. how to view this partition on both O/S's)???

Thanks in advance for your help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Snow Leopard is unable to see the drive you created using Disk Manager in Windows 7 because Disk Manager does not know how to update the Partition table in OS X. When you boot to Snow Leopard, what is the size of your Windows 7 partition that can be seen? Is it the original size before you shrank it or the new size?

For future reference, do not use Disk Manager for partition resizing unless the entire drive is dedicated to Windows. Use CampTune from Paragon software. CampTune "knows" how to resize and also updates the partition table correctly on the Mac side.

OP
J
Reaction score
Snow Leopard is unable to see the drive you created using Disk Manager in Windows 7 because Disk Manager does not know how to update the Partition table in OS X. When you boot to Snow Leopard, what is the size of your Windows 7 partition that can be seen? Is it the original size before you shrank it or the new size?

For future reference, do not use Disk Manager for partition resizing unless the entire drive is dedicated to Windows. Use CampTune from Paragon software. CampTune "knows" how to resize and also updates the partition table correctly on the Mac side.

Thanks for the info, do you know of any other alternatives at all? It seems CampTune only works if you install Windows via that software and I really dont want to have to do that again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.