Unix Executable Font Files in Trash as Recovered Files

Reaction score
We just recently had our first iMac replaced because it was terribly defective. It started with a spinning noise at the back left, which kept getting louder and more prevalent, with a clicking noise that showed up later on. Then, the spinning wheel would continually come on every little while, preventing us from using it. That got worse and more prevalent, lasting anywhere from 30 seconds to even fifteen minutes once.

The Apple Store put a new logic board into it, but that didn't fix it, so they gave us a new computer, which is working fine thus far. I'm trying to take great care of it and hoping to keep all of the files managed well.

That leads me to this issue. I turned the computer on the other day and went to delete some images I'd downloaded for use in articles I write. That was when I noticed that there was a recovered files folder in the trash, with a bunch of font files. They're all listed as unix executable files and I have no idea of what that means.

I haven't emptied the trash because I don't know what they are and/or what I should do with them. There's a ton, representing what I assume is each font type on the system.

I didn't do anything to delete them or alter the font files and I don't think anyone in my family would have. My father and cousin were on the computer, but I don't think they would have done anything to it to result in deletion of the font files or anything.

What should I do?

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
unix executable is what OS X calls files that it doesn't otherwise recognize. I've never seen your specific issue, but I'm going to speculate that an application that uses fonts crashed. OS X puts unsaved files, including temp files and caches into a recovered files folder after a restart.
First thing I would do - get Onyx and use it to repair the hard drive and clean caches, and do other maintenance:
Titanium's Software • Download

Check if all your fonts are OK, then empty the trash if they are.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
unix executable is what OS X calls files that it doesn't otherwise recognize.
Not quite. OS X is a Unix based operating system and in Unix, files can be executable. This has to do with the permissions on a file. A user can have any combination of the following three privileges - read, write and execute. You can set certain files to have executable permissions for certain users. So, OS X recognizes them when it says that and it is in essence telling you that it is an executable file. Just a tip. ;)

wick98, this article should explain what that folder is and why it's in the Trash.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
wick98, this article should explain what that folder is and why it's in the Trash.

Hmmm, I don't think we have answered the OP's question about what it means when font files, in the recovered files folder, are shown as "unix executable." I know my answer was an over-generalization - what's the real answer? It may have something to do with permissions - corrupted or wrongly saved permissions. I've seen this same situation a couple of times. Sorry now I didn't look at the permissions and just emptied the trash.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The article I linked to explains it. As noted in the article:
The recovered files are temporary files used by Mac OS X applications. Usually temporary files are deleted by an application when it no longer needs them. If an application quits unexpectedly, the temporary files may not be deleted by the application. When you restart your computer, Mac OS X moves these temporary files to the Trash.

The fonts may have simply had the permissions set as executable by the application that was using them. Whatever applications didn't clean up its temp files is probably responsible for it.

OP
W
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

I took a look at the article and am still confused, to be completely honest. I understand the theory behind why it does it, and have had a Mac for several years now (MacBook Pro.) So, I've had practice in deleting them and/or saving them.

What should I do with this file folder though? Delete it? Restore it? I don't want to get rid of the fonts for a program, nor do I want to have a random unnecessary fonts folder on my computer that I'm trying to keep in good file management.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you had an application crash recently that uses fonts? If so, check to see if everything is fine. If so, you're probably ok getting rid of them.

OP
W
Reaction score
Not to my knowledge. I haven't had issues with it while I've been using the computer. I'm the one who uses it the most, but a couple of other people have been on it for a little while.

I can't really find out because one moved out.

Any way I can run a diagnostic to check? Or find out where these files link to?

Thanks

Reaction score
Recovered files in trash?

I just got a new MacBook Pro. It's actually my first Mac, and I'm loving it!!

I opened my Trash and saw a folder called "Recovered files". When I open it, it looks like it contains fonts.

I never trashed this folder. I don't know where it came from. It just appeared in the Trash. I was wondering why this occurred, and if it's safe for me to empty the Trash with this folder?

If not, what should I do?

Thank you!
Jack

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Merged threads - same question.

Reaction score
Sorry, guys. I didn't see the original post.

I'm surprised that this issue seems unknown. I've only had my MacBook Pro for a few days, and I'm a bit dismayed that I'm already experiencing an "issue" with the Mac. I did install a few programs and I've already had to do a software update, so not sure what caused this.

I'll review the applications to make sure everything is running correctly.

Reaction score
I found a post on another forum. They're claiming that this Recovered Files folder of fonts has to do with Office 2011 and the SP1 update fixed it.

I actually did install Office 2011 yesterday, although it was updated to SP1. But it may be related to Office 2011. I'll empty the trash and see if any issues arise.

OP
W
Reaction score
I installed Office 2011 as well. Seems like a common link then.

So, it's safe to just delete 'em?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
To the both of you.... Yes, this is a common occurrence with Office 2011 and as far as I know, SP-1 did not fix it. It has more to do with temporary files that are created by Office 2011 each time it runs. For some reason they do not get deleted by Office and wind up in the trash. This is an annoyance but should (hopefully) be fixed in a future update. For more info you can go the MS Mac Office forum and read about it.

Reaction score
houwil

I just installed Adobe CS 5.5 a few hours ago, and I've got the same issue--only, MY trash's recovered folder contains what appear to be Adobe font files. I *do not* want to lose those fonts!

I'm completely stressed, as this is my first mac (iMac)--and I bought it refurbished...:p

I'll preface the following statement with the fact that I am NOT at all computer-savvy...but I'm very skeptical that the root issue is with the applications, since it's happening with both Office AND Adobe suites. Wouldn't it more likely be an issue with the OS?

I just wish there were clearer answers/solutions here so I could just fix and forget. :\

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I can't speak for the Adobe software as I do not use it, however, a recent update to MS Office 2011 has fixed the "recovered files in the trash" problem. It no longer occurs upon each reboot.

Reaction score
I frequently find at least one font, Seoul, at /Trash/Recovered Files after restarting my Mac (Mirrored Drive Doors dual G4 running OS 10.5.8). As far as I can tell from observation, this font often (not always) appears to be loaded as a temporary font from one of the other hard drives in my Mac (it contains four drives), by Safari, when Safari loads some web pages. It does this even though Seoul is already in my startup drive's /Library/Fonts folder. I've tried replacing the copy of Seoul at /Library/Fonts with a known-good one apparently identical to the one I keep finding in the Trash, and placing another copy at ~/Library/Fonts, but it doesn't make any difference. It hasn't impacted me other than to be mysterious and annoying.

Reaction score
I got inspired and decided to look into this a little further. At least in my case, this problem may be happening because my copy of Seoul was damaged.

I opened Font Book and looked for Seoul in its listing of all fonts, to see if Seoul was disabled for some reason. Seoul didn't appear in the list of fonts, though all the other fonts at /Library/Fonts did, as well as those at /System/Library/Fonts.

Next, I used Font Book to validate the Seoul font file that's on my startup drive at /Library/Fonts (the option is at File/Validate File...). Font Book reported "One serious error was found. Do not use this font." Next to the listing of Seoul in the validation results window, Font Book placed a red dot with a white X in its middle.

Next, I tried to open this copy of Seoul at /Library/Fonts, by going back to the Finder and double-clicking on it. Nothing happened. Then I tried to get Font Book to open the file, via its File/Add Fonts... menu option. Again, nothing happened.

Then I went to the Finder again, and looked at the size of the Seoul font. It was smaller than any of my other functioning fonts--only 4K. The next smallest font was 16K. This further confirmed that my copy of Seoul might be damaged--it might actually be empty.

Next, I looked for any other copies of Seoul on all four of my hard drives, which contain backups of some data recoveries I've done for Mac clients for at least ten years, which include old OS 9 and OS 8 System Folders. There, I found an identical damaged copy of Seoul, which might have been where I got the copy that, years earlier, I probably placed at /Library/Fonts for some reason, not realizing it was damaged. But I also found a copy of Seoul named "Seoul TrueType", and I was able to open that copy in Font Book and view a normal character set. Then I used Font Book to validate the "Seoul TrueType" file, and it reported "One minor problem was found. Proceed with caution." The item in the font file that it complained about, was listed in the validation results window as "'post' table usability". I don't know what that is. One odd thing about this "Seoul TrueType" font, is that it's 7.5 megabytes, which is much larger than most of my other fonts at /Library/Fonts. But since it seems to work OK, I decided to use it.

I trashed the apparently damaged copy of Seoul at /Library/Fonts, and replaced it with the "Seoul TrueType" font that Font Book was more or less happy with. In the next few days or weeks, I'll see whether this eliminates the appearance of Seoul at /Trash/Recovered Files.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.